Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   V50 Electrics : V50 2009 H7 Dip Bulb renewal (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=231064)

100K+ Jun 8th, 2015 18:46

V50 2009 H7 Dip Bulb renewal

Needed to renew drivers side bulb today. Vida offered x2 options but limited explanations of each.

1 - change light bulb with light unit insitu.
2 - remove whole unit and change in comfort.

I opted for the 1st suggestion, mainly as I was not 100% sure about how to remove the whole unit - appeared to be - remove the metal tent peg and the light unit comes out forwards, but the instructions about needing to set light back up after refitting put me off hence choosing option 1.
However, having shovels for hands the job was not that easy.
Did I choose the best option, or is unit removal the way to go??

Cheers

Bob

steV50 Jun 8th, 2015 19:55

I have changed a few bulbs on previous S40 and V50's and I just removed the metal peg and gently pulled the unit out to change the bulb. There are instructions in the cars handbook but I am not sure what you mean by setting the light back up, I don't recall seeing anything about that in the handbook.
The V50 I have now has xenons so will leave it to the main dealer if a bulb needs changing.

100K+ Jun 8th, 2015 21:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by steV50 (Post 1927867)
I have changed a few bulbs on previous S40 and V50's and I just removed the metal peg and gently pulled the unit out to change the bulb. There are instructions in the cars handbook but I am not sure what you mean by setting the light back up, I don't recall seeing anything about that in the handbook.
The V50 I have now has xenons so will leave it to the main dealer if a bulb needs changing.

I assumed that having removed the light unit, then replacing it afterwards, the beam pattern had somehow been affected and therefore needed resetting.
I don't understand why, but Vida said it was part of the re install procedure.

I would have thought having just replacing the light unit no adjustment would be necessary.

But the possibility of needing to re set the light pattern made me try to re place the bulb with the light in situ, but it was very fiddly - hence my original question..

Cheers

Bob

Missing Lincs Jun 8th, 2015 21:58

I'd go for option 2). It really is easy to remove the headlight.

It's not quite 'pull forwards', the rear end needs to come slightly out sideways first to disengage the rear locating part. After the first time, not wanting to force anything, it really is quick and easy.

I've also no idea what the 'set up' is. When you plug the electrical connector back in the levelling seems to align perfectly.

steV50 Jun 9th, 2015 06:55

Had a look at the owners handbook and it just says to reinstall the light unit and metal peg once the bulb has been changed.

T5R92011 Jun 9th, 2015 11:24

As long as you install the bulb totally flush to the holder, the alignment is fine.

100K+ Jun 9th, 2015 14:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Missing Lincs (Post 1927963)

I've also no idea what the 'set up' is. When you plug the electrical connector back in the levelling seems to align perfectly.

That's what common sense told me, but VIDA insisted the car needed the light pattern checked/reset - which I could not accurately do.

I'd had an issue sorting out Xenon's on my V70 R and did not want to add additional problems to a simple light bulb change on the V50.

Cheers

Bob