Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   General Volvo and Motoring Discussions (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   "claybar" ? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=155026)

LJD Jun 8th, 2012 18:03

"claybar" ?

Well....had to do something for a hour ! so a quick wash of car . all clean as per norm. Thought i would try a go are "claying" the car (as its all the rage now !!)
bloody hell the stuff is hard to work with in this weather ! so warmed it up nicely in a oven for 5 mins . Using a carwash and water mix to "lube" the clay. I was amazed at how much dirt came off ! around the drivers side rear wing was filthy after years of having diesel spilt all over it .

Going to do it again tomorrow and then give it a proper polish

smooth paint work has got to be worth 0.00008 of a BHP !

HairyMonster Jun 8th, 2012 18:10

try using a bucket of warm water to soften it.:thumbs_up:

also you should cut it into 3/4 smaller pieces in case you drop it, if you drop it bin it

Volvo2002 Jun 8th, 2012 18:42

Hard work but very rewarding. It's amazing how smooth the paint is once you've finished!

Crockers Jun 8th, 2012 21:29

I like Bilt Hammer. Only needs water as a lubricant.

LJD Jun 8th, 2012 21:46

I tend to stay away from "designer" products. I find most soaps and a good selections of micro fibre mops and cloths get the car clean. A nice wipe down and some classic tin wax has the car as good as i will ever need it !

I worry about people who "detail" !!

no wonder more women are turning gay....

LankyTim Jun 8th, 2012 22:41

I always thought claying was a fad but the other month i gave it a try on my old 240 esate... what a difference- the paint is now smooth as glass!

I'm now a bit of a convert to the clay cause..

BillB Jun 8th, 2012 22:48

LJD: I would have agreed with you a while ago but, once you start using clay, you don't go back, like Tim. It doesn't take long and efficiently removes grime making polishing much easier and more effective. I clay and polish twice a year, spring and autumn. I use detailer to lubricate the clay (meguiars). Used to use meg polish but am now using Autoglm.

Volvo2002 Jun 8th, 2012 22:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by LJD (Post 1181569)
I tend to stay away from "designer" products. I find most soaps and a good selections of micro fibre mops and cloths get the car clean. A nice wipe down and some classic tin wax has the car as good as i will ever need it !

I worry about people who "detail" !!

no wonder more women are turning gay....

Different strokes for different folks :D

purplebargeken Jun 8th, 2012 23:03

Clay is good. B&H do a very good clay that as mentioned previously, only needs water to lube. They do 2 grades now. Mequires stuff is finer and requires lubing with their speed detailer IIRC. Well worth doing IMHO. You will notice the difference, I bet you 50p.

LJD Jun 8th, 2012 23:25

My clay cost £3.00 off ebay !

gave it a good old wash after and it comes up lovely and clean .