Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   fuel additives (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=288438)

tails Nov 10th, 2018 13:13

fuel additives

anyone add anything to the fuel,
redex etc,
if yes any difference,and if not,why not.:tongwink:

GusGecko Nov 10th, 2018 16:17

I tried millers ecomax....didnt notice any tangible difference.... I occasionally use a premium fuel like ultimate or V-power but my car isn that old, and hasn't done that many miles so I'm not sure I would really see a difference. I just put that in every so often to keep it clean (arguably)

I would imagine they could be useful on a really old/high mileage car to clean some crap off.

Otherwise I wouldn't really bother....personally

benr7310 Nov 10th, 2018 16:29

Tried redex in the old Volvo and it stank of rotten egg on long trips til that tank was empty.

Miller's in the current no real difference.

Currently using archoil 6900d which makes it feel a bit more punchy when using standard supermarket fuel. That could be down to the map on my car though.

tails Nov 10th, 2018 16:41

fuel additives

tried the v-power a few times myself,didn't notice really any effect,but my pal uses it all the time in his vw t5 van,he recommends it ?
it sure adds up at the till though ££££

Fantastic Nov 10th, 2018 23:48

This era of engines and oils don't really need additives like engines of the past did. So adding things just puts driving costs up with little improvements.
IMO of course.

Tannaton Nov 11th, 2018 00:01

For general running there is no need to add any additives and currently no mainstream manufacturer recommends any.

on older, high mileage cars there may be benefits from cleaning the fuel system but the only way this really works is running the engine on neat cleaner like liqui moly diesel purge (or a tankful of 90/10 diesel/petrol mix).

Mick787 Nov 11th, 2018 22:27

Exactly the same as GusGecko re Ultimate fuel use. I asked Volvo shortly after I got the car and they said not to use additives.
My car was relatively new with very low mileage. I fill it up twice a year, (about a tank full) using an Ultimate or similar. The rest of the time I use supermarket slop. I've been doing this since I bought it.
Being totally honest, the mpg doesn't change between using slop and Ultimate fuel. I have the belief it may be keeping the injectors and fuel lines clean, but I have no proof.

Tannaton Nov 11th, 2018 23:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick787 (Post 2465942)
Exactly the same as GusGecko re Ultimate fuel use. I asked Volvo shortly after I got the car and they said not to use additives.
My car was relatively new with very low mileage. I fill it up twice a year, (about a tank full) using an Ultimate or similar. The rest of the time I use supermarket slop. I've been doing this since I bought it.
Being totally honest, the mpg doesn't change between using slop and Ultimate fuel. I have the belief it may be keeping the injectors and fuel lines clean, but I have no proof.

There are around 7 refineries in the UK that produce road fuel and the supermarkets own none of them. They buy their fuel via commodity trading, contrary to popular myth it’s not watered down...

Mick787 Nov 12th, 2018 08:08

Tannaton, I have no doubt about the number of refineries and what you have said. However, I cant ignore the comments made by journalists like HonestJohn who after years in the trade, appear to swear by the long term benefits to a motor vehicle of using fuel from a non supermarket source to using supermarket slop.
Do the fuel tankers have separate compartments? I can't help but wonder if section 'a' goes to Tesco or whatever and section 'b' to the non supermarket outlet. It wouldn't take much to add a little something extra when section b is filled at the depot. Supermarket slop may not be watered down, but non supermarket fuel may have a richer taste?
Perhaps someone will be able to say without the risk of loosing their job.

Zebster Nov 12th, 2018 09:32

My current problems with a recurring engine warning light (due to a sooted-up exhaust oxygen sensor) only started after I switched to V-Power. To be fair I'd assume that the problem was already developing, but the V-Power obviously didn't help the situation!

And there's no way I'd consider using fuel additives.