Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S40 / V40 '96-'04 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Couple of things, one mechanical, one electrical. (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=303618)

drone Feb 15th, 2020 16:09

Couple of things, one mechanical, one electrical.

My V40 comes up for MOT in a month and I think the off side handbrake cable is seized, is it a major job to fix/replace it?
Second fault just presented itself, hazards have always worked ok but my pre mot test I couldn't shut the little devil off, eventually got it off but is it possible to service it? Or must I buy one as it seems that the part is discontinued and only used ones available.

P156KWJ Feb 15th, 2020 20:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by drone (Post 2600450)
My V40 comes up for MOT in a month and I think the off side handbrake cable is seized, is it a major job to fix/replace it?
Second fault just presented itself, hazards have always worked ok but my pre mot test I couldn't shut the little devil off, eventually got it off but is it possible to service it? Or must I buy one as it seems that the part is discontinued and only used ones available.

Seen a guide on the hazard switch somewhere on here before, mine recently refused to turn off until a few attempts but it hasn't done it since

CharlesStevenson Feb 18th, 2020 14:50

The hazard switch is definitely something that needs a gentle touch - mine jammed once but if you take it out you can reset it so it works again (assuming you've not bust it!).

I don't think it's the internal wiring that plays up, just the quality of the fittings, so if you can get a second-hand from somewhere I'm sure that'd be ok (but try releasing yours if it's jammed first)

drone Feb 18th, 2020 15:38

Thanks, I've bought a used spare to put in shortly.

drone Feb 28th, 2020 16:42

Booked the car in for MOT today at 15.00 hrs, as is my wont I took it up the motorway to get the cat hot and as I was returning a large rock was thrown up by the lorry in the nearside lane, hit the wiper drive just in front of me then the screen.
Wiper immediately goes into megasqueak mode and there's a 6" crack from the corner of the screen.
Stopped the car and pulled the wiper out a bit and the squeaking has gone.
Thought I've nothing to lose so took it in for the test, here's a cut and paste of the cert. Not a mention of the screen.

Check mileage recorded at test, MOT expiry date, defects and advisories, and view test certificate

Date tested
28 February 2020
PASS
View test certificate
Mileage
157,309 miles
MOT test number
4355 3111 9482
Test location
View test location
Expiry date
13 March 2021
Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):
Nearside Rear brake backplate corroded.
Offside Front brake backplate corroded.
Offside Rear brake backplate missing.
Nearside Rear Brake pipe corroded, covered in grease or other material (1.1.11 (c))
What are advisories?

drone Feb 28th, 2020 17:14

BTW it's a 2002 1.8 GDI that my son gave me last year.
Just booked in with GA, £75 for a new screen fitted.

drone Feb 28th, 2020 17:40

Forgot to mention, handbrake cable wasn't seized, 1/2 a turn on the adjuster nut and she was a good un. Very relieved it went through without major expenditure.

bimmer49 Mar 7th, 2020 14:15

The right hand cable (and probably the left) is a pig to replace on the ground. It's getting it though the double skinned section of the floor then feeding it around the fuel tank, the hundreds of supporting clips that don't go back on in place.....but it will work once you get it onto the caliper lever!

drone Mar 7th, 2020 18:41

Thanks for the replies, I sold it yesterday. Couldn't be bothered with fixing it.