Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC90 '02–'15 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   General: Tailgate lock problem (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=300150)

BlueJambo74 Nov 2nd, 2019 10:54

Tailgate lock problem

The tailgate of my XC 90, 2009 has somehow got locked with the tailgate open.

It now won’t unlock when the key fob unlocks the rest of the car, so currently it’s held closed with a bungee. Reading other posts people suggest a problem with a corroded pin in the latch handle mechanism. This has been sticking for a while, but even opening and closing this doesn’t allow the boot latch to open. I can heat the mechanism trying to unlock it, but the latch stays locked.

Does this mean a new latch is needed ? Or should replacing this metal bar fix it ? I can remove the boot trim but just don’t know what I need to fix ! Any help really appreciated!

S60D5-185 Nov 2nd, 2019 12:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueJambo74 (Post 2568048)
The tailgate of my XC 90, 2009 has somehow got locked with the tailgate open.

It now won’t unlock when the key fob unlocks the rest of the car, so currently it’s held closed with a bungee. Reading other posts people suggest a problem with a corroded pin in the latch handle mechanism. This has been sticking for a while, but even opening and closing this doesn’t allow the boot latch to open. I can heat the mechanism trying to unlock it, but the latch stays locked.

Does this mean a new latch is needed ? Or should replacing this metal bar fix it ? I can remove the boot trim but just don’t know what I need to fix ! Any help really appreciated!

This will do it.

I followed this guide from a guy on YouTube and it worked for me. Got the stainless bar cheap off ebay.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

paddy74 Nov 2nd, 2019 15:10

And here is a great tutorial:
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=108023

WrathOfKain Nov 4th, 2019 19:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by S60D5-185 (Post 2568070)
This will do it.

I followed this guide from a guy on YouTube and it worked for me. Got the stainless bar cheap off ebay.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Mine has stuck on a couple of occasions but pretty easy just getting thumb in and flipping it back. Is there a risk it gets permanently stuck or something ? ..... it isnt something that bothers me but if its something that would create havoc then would consider doing it as a preventative measure.

S60D5-185 Nov 5th, 2019 12:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by WrathOfKain (Post 2568800)
Mine has stuck on a couple of occasions but pretty easy just getting thumb in and flipping it back. Is there a risk it gets permanently stuck or something ? ..... it isnt something that bothers me but if its something that would create havoc then would consider doing it as a preventative measure.

Mine was the same.

After working out what I needed, I ordered the stainless rod and some new return springs ( 20mm letter box ) and did it one day when the weather was fine and I had nothing else to do.

It's been perfect since.

WrathOfKain Nov 5th, 2019 18:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by S60D5-185 (Post 2569003)
Mine was the same.

After working out what I needed, I ordered the stainless rod and some new return springs ( 20mm letter box ) and did it one day when the weather was fine and I had nothing else to do.

It's been perfect since.

Is there anything that can go drastically wrong .... kind of thinking if not broke dont fix right now. I wouldnt want to damage anything or create a seperate issue.

S60D5-185 Nov 5th, 2019 19:32

If you have doubts about working on your car then only you will know whether you want to gain experience or pay someone else to do it for you.

I do nearly all my own work because I then know that it has actually been done rather than hoping that someone that I've paid to do it hasn't !

Prime example Fuel Filter .

Not hard to do but if you don't do it yourself you don't "know for certain" that it has been, even though you've paid for it.:teeth_smile:

WrathOfKain Nov 5th, 2019 20:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by S60D5-185 (Post 2569140)
If you have doubts about working on your car then only you will know whether you want to gain experience or pay someone else to do it for you.

I do nearly all my own work because I then know that it has actually been done rather than hoping that someone that I've paid to do it hasn't !

Prime example Fuel Filter .

Not hard to do but if you don't do it yourself you don't "know for certain" that it has been, even though you've paid for it.:teeth_smile:

No problem doing the tailgate but only if its necessary .... sometimes .... maintenance creates maintenance ..... if it is more that its just a nuisance then i woudld leave it ..... or if it risks locking the tailgate permanently ..... then its probably something i would plan in to do sooner.