Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   Volvo pcc/remote (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=295291)

Kev0607 May 31st, 2019 17:43

Volvo pcc/remote

Hi,

A quick question regarding the remote to start the car. Do you have to hold the start button first to turn on the ignition, wait for the heater plug light to go off, then press the brake & press the button to start the car? Or, do you just put the key in, press the brake & press the button to start without waiting? I'm afraid of doing my heater plugs in! Am I correct in thinking that the heater plugs are automatic, hence the slight delay for the car to start when you put the key in without faffling around holding the button for the ignition to come on?

S80 2.4 D

mhon72 May 31st, 2019 19:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kev0607 (Post 2525294)
Hi,

A quick question regarding the remote to start the car. Do you have to hold the start button first to turn on the ignition, wait for the heater plug light to go off, then press the brake & press the button to start the car? Or, do you just put the key in, press the brake & press the button to start without waiting? I'm afraid of doing my heater plugs in! Am I correct in thinking that the heater plugs are automatic, hence the slight delay for the car to start when you put the key in without faffling around holding the button for the ignition to come on?

S80 2.4 D

With the PCC you don't need to insert the key into the slot.
Foot on the brake and just press the button and release.
If the plugs need warming the car will do that before cranking the engine so there will be hesitation particularly in cold weather.

Kev0607 Jun 2nd, 2019 15:51

I have to put the key in the slot for mine to start?

ferg55 Jun 2nd, 2019 22:19

There are two types of key, one which needs to be pressed to open the doors and then pushed into the dashboard slot to start the car, or one which just needs to be in your pocket to open the doors / start the car, called "PCC" or sometimes known as "keyless". PCC keys have an information "i" button on the key. If yours has the "i" but dosn't work as keyless, the dedicated PCC battery may have run down as there are two batteries in a PCC key, the other one operates the key buttons as per normal.
As Mhon72 says, In both cases the start proceedure is automated by the car's computer modules and will do whatever is necessary regarding glow plugs etc. :)
HTH, Simon.

Tatsfield Jun 9th, 2019 01:48

Whatever key you have you don't need to manage the start procedure. The car's ECU does it all automatically. Pressing the button while holding down the brake pedal just initiates the sequence and once all the necessary steps have been made, the car starts itself. And of course, the car's ECU does it better that you can.

Kev0607 Jun 11th, 2019 00:48

Thank you all for your replies. :regular_smile: