Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   V40/XC '12>17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=194)
-   -   Volvo v40 2013 d2 won’t start (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=329272)

Sunbird89 Dec 3rd, 2022 12:13

Volvo v40 2013 d2 won’t start

Hi everyone
My Volvo v40 d2 2013 36k miles won’t start.
It turns over but doesn’t fire up. Replaced battery, fuel filter, air filter and new wires to the fuel pump and still no luck.
The AA guy said it was the fuel filter. The mechanics it’s with think it could be the fuel pump but I’m not so sure.
It starts up for a couple of seconds spraying gas into the engine.
I thought the fuel pump would have shown signs of going by misfiring and spluttering not just be totally fine then next day not working.
Any help would be 👍🏻

Sunbird89 Dec 4th, 2022 12:24

Any ideas ?

scbamber Dec 4th, 2022 13:06

I appreciate you're looking for a quick fix, but a proper diagnosis is the right place to start. You have already spent a fair bit of money via a scattergun approach and got nowhere.

It is disappointing for you and to me that people who are more knowledgeable than I haven't yet come along to offer technical suggestions, and maybe pinpoint the problem directly as they may have had exactly the same problem.

I think the way forward is likely to involve someone sensible interrogating the car via Vida before doing anything else. That will cost money, usually at the Volvo dealers, but may offer the best approach overall. Sometimes someone on this forum and living nearish has their own Vida, and offers to help out. I hope someone comes along.

Sunbird89 Dec 4th, 2022 13:48

Had a diagnostic done. Only showed a p0047 which is turbo boost, which is generally the pipe linking to the turbo.
I spoke to the Volvo dealer but they said they can’t really help. Until the end of the month.
Someone must have had a similar problem to me.

Lancee Dec 4th, 2022 14:05

"Had a diagnostic done".

Vida diagnostic or other ?

I think the code you mention is a generic one.

Sunbird89 Dec 4th, 2022 14:33

Not Vida diagnostic. That’s being done tomorrow. I’ve come up with a list please feel free to tell me if it’s not anything I list:
Crank position sensor
Cam belt position sensor
Fuel regulator
Fuel pump
Fuel pipe suction hose
Glow plugs
Fuel pump fuses or relay switch.

My mechanics just seem stumped.

Clan Dec 4th, 2022 14:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunbird89 (Post 2862626)
Not Vida diagnostic. That’s being done tomorrow. I’ve come up with a list please feel free to tell me if it’s not anything I list:
Crank position sensor
Cam belt position sensor
Fuel regulator
Fuel pump
Fuel pipe suction hose
Glow plugs
Fuel pump fuses or relay switch.

My mechanics just seem stumped.

This is probably the most common diesel engine for a car in the world , I would find someone who understands them . Unfortunately we cant do it by remote control . First step would be to read out the Volvo detailed fault code and check for the required fuel pressure when cranking over.

Sunbird89 Dec 4th, 2022 16:00

Will try another garage.
Also wondering if there is a fuel sender pump in the tank itself?

Clan Dec 4th, 2022 16:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunbird89 (Post 2862648)
Will try another garage.
Also wondering if there is a fuel sender pump in the tank itself?

no you need a rubber hand pump to bleed the filter .

Sunbird89 Dec 4th, 2022 16:04

Sorry I don’t understand that comment. What filter are you talking about?