Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Reverse light connection (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=305132)

HWKWallis Apr 8th, 2020 13:25

Reverse light connection

Hi

Part of the scope creep on the estate I picked up at the end of last year involved renovating the engine bay rather than ceasing ambitions at the engine/gearbox.

Having thought I'd organised my records of what goes where adequately seems I can find the (black?) lead which I recall taking off the rear of the gearbox and I presumed was the reversing light switch.

Does anyone know the precise origin of the lead which I must has secreted during prolonged tidying?

Thanks

Jim

Ron Kwas Apr 8th, 2020 15:51

Jim;

When seeking help, you should always mention vehicle model and any special (non-standard) conditions which apply, but generally speaking, on most models, harness which runs to Gearbox M40 or BW35 will be a vinyl sleeve, departing from engine compartment harnessing down the gearbox hump...

Good Hunting!

powen1 Apr 8th, 2020 17:16

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by HWKWallis (Post 2617695)
Hi

Part of the scope creep on the estate I picked up at the end of last year involved renovating the engine bay rather than ceasing ambitions at the engine/gearbox.

Having thought I'd organised my records of what goes where adequately seems I can find the (black?) lead which I recall taking off the rear of the gearbox and I presumed was the reversing light switch.

Does anyone know the precise origin of the lead which I must has secreted during prolonged tidying?

Thanks

Jim

jim Had the same issue when trying to find correct wire for my reverse light hope the pics help
Paul

HWKWallis Apr 8th, 2020 17:31

Good point viz the model! (amazon).... In tunnel vision mode.
Thanks Paul... Engine just in this afternoon so a fresh hunt in the morning is in order.

Best

Jim

HWKWallis Apr 13th, 2020 09:45

Just doubling back on this Paul since having hooked up the red wire as per your images... Does this function correctly for you?
I can't reconcile this with any wiring diagram I have which seem to imply the wire is Black as per my vague recall and comes from one of the relays (which I now find attached to the unit just refitted).
In short then my reading is the Red goes to the oil sender and Black from the round overdrive relay to the reverse switch?

Confused!

Jim

powen1 Apr 13th, 2020 12:13

Jim Hi
I found my red wire goes to the overdrive unit the black wire that was lose went to the sender unit on the gearbox, from what I found out is that the sender (on top or at the back of gearbox) controls the reverse light mine was disconnected. Its black wire from sender to rear light seems to work on earthing circuit.
Im sure someone more experienced will have a better explanation ! hope this helps, I believe it then runs up the back of the engine bay assume to live feed.
Sorry if a bit vague.
See my post 1st jan 2020 re reversing light wiring I had a lot fo feed back and useful information
Paul

Ron Kwas Apr 13th, 2020 14:06

Paul;

...so is this situation sorted now...?

...if not, one way to confirm Revers Light Relay wire, is to measure voltage to chassis...while leaving disconnected, and with Ign ON, Reverse Relay wire will show 12V, and when touching it to chassis to complete Relay coil circuit, you should hear Reverse Relay clack and apply power to Rev Lights.

Good Hunting

powen1 Apr 13th, 2020 19:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Kwas (Post 2619200)
Paul;

...so is this situation sorted now...?

...if not, one way to confirm Revers Light Relay wire, is to measure voltage to chassis...while leaving disconnected, and with Ign ON, Reverse Relay wire will show 12V, and when touching it to chassis to complete Relay coil circuit, you should hear Reverse Relay clack and apply power to Rev Lights.

Good Hunting

Thanks Ron , Yes mine is sorted now and yes did get the relay to click :-) - I think you told me last time that the circuit is earthed when selected reverse and working fine now.

Jim seems to have the same issue but hopefully he's also sorted now ?
Paul

HWKWallis Apr 13th, 2020 20:18

Think I'm on the right page now thanks guys.
Little way off testing as the relay terminal is broken and so acquiring a replacement before finally confirming.

At least everything has a logical home now.

Best

Jim