Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   General: 70: loud exhaust (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=275887)

jack taylor Dec 9th, 2017 19:08

loud exhaust

Hi, I have a 1998 V70, 2.5, 20v. A new Cat was fitted last month and yesterday a new Klarius silencer was put on. Immediately I noticed the exhaust noise inside the car was louder than the old silencer and outside the car the exhaust noise is coming from the silencer and not from the rear. The pipe connections seem fine with no "blowing". the baffles in the old silencer were shot yet it was quieter than this Klarius. Has anyone had any problems with Klarius or any ideas as to why this should be noisey. thanks jack

Dippydog Dec 10th, 2017 09:05

From memory I can't say as I've ever had a Klarius exhaust on any car so can't comment on their quality/noise etc. However a thought off the top of my head which may or may not be a factor[others feel free to comment]your old cat and silencer will have been bedded in with use-coked up a bit if you want to look at it that way-whereas your new items by comparison will be squeaky clean inside,so perhaps a while of bedding in through use will quieten things down?

Simmy Dec 10th, 2017 10:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by jack taylor (Post 2346282)
Hi, I have a 1998 V70, 2.5, 20v. A new Cat was fitted last month and yesterday a new Klarius silencer was put on. Immediately I noticed the exhaust noise inside the car was louder than the old silencer and outside the car the exhaust noise is coming from the silencer and not from the rear. The pipe connections seem fine with no "blowing". the baffles in the old silencer were shot yet it was quieter than this Klarius. Has anyone had any problems with Klarius or any ideas as to why this should be noisey. thanks jack

any aftermarket exaust will be louder they are cheaper for a reason . thin metal less baffles . less packing ect . do u have the centere resonator box fitted? you will get used to it but wont get any quieter .:car:

jack taylor Dec 10th, 2017 15:12

Hi Simmy, Thanks for coming back. I don't think it has a resonator box. Working from the engine; there is the Cat then the silencer just near to the rear axle and then the pipe continues to the tail pipe.
What I don't understand is why this new box is so much louder than the old one which rattled like a box of nails. The new exhaust does "resonate" within the cabin.
Klarius is apparently a well made box according to google searches. Perhaps I have just got a dud. I purchased on ebay uk from a seller with 99.9% feedback over several years and thousands of sales.

DunkinBiskits Dec 10th, 2017 17:03

as previously mentioned, its the thickness of the metal and lack of deadening layers inside that make it louder. OE Volvo exhausts are fantastic at being quiet and surviving the years, but thats about it; rather beefy walls, not very light. We arent saying the replacement is crap, just that its nowhere near the quality that a new OE one would be. And lets be honest, when did you last buy something new off eBay and get a 10/10 item?

Dunc

capt jack Dec 11th, 2017 15:05

Yep. I put a new exhaust on my old V70 and another on SWMBO’s S70. Both were fine, and both were louder than the original.

But neither was a problem and MOTs were passed without any issue.

Cheers

Jack

jack taylor Dec 11th, 2017 15:53

Hi Jack, many thanks for that. I think I have learned a lesson in that OE is the best way with most parts. regards jack.

walshy Dec 11th, 2017 18:19

Up until a couple of years ago, Klarius was equivalent to oe spec as we used to stock them. They went bust and restarted a while later but as a smaller concern.
We stock a couple of exhausts throughout the company but the quality is nothing like the older ones

jack taylor Dec 12th, 2017 03:36

Hi Walshy, most interesting, thanks. I am already in contact with Klarius who have of course assured me of the quality of their products. Your info will come in handy. thanks again.

jack taylor Dec 14th, 2017 16:19

Hi Walshy, I emailed Klarius and passed onto them the info which you kindly provided. They didn't comment but have today dispatched to me in spain a new silencer free of charge. I am wondering whether they have different qualities of exhausts as it will be pointless in sending me what I already have.
I can soon tell by the weight of the new silencer. Should this be an improvement on the one I already have then I would say "result". Thanks again Walshy for the helpful info. jack