Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   Stop/Start not working (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=189640)

volvorocks Sep 30th, 2013 20:14

Stop/Start not working

Generally speaking I switch off stop/start as soon as I set off as I find it annoying in heavy traffic.

However today I found it wasn't working when switched on.

Being a beehive full of knowledge of all things mechanical and electrical I instantly knew what it was - or rather didn't as I have no clue on these things...!!!

I switched it on and came to a stop again, and it did not work, so I went into the settings via My Car, went to the sub menu 'Drive' and noticed it said ''battery charging'' and something about ''stop/start will not work when the battery is charging''. I have never seen this before, but then again probably because the battery for the stop/start has never been flat, so obviously wouldn't show!!

So I figured I would post for anyone whose stop/start appears to not be working to have a look at this first.

So in conclusion its not faulty, its just that the seperate battery for the stop/start needed a charge - which is understandable really as the car has been stood for a couple of weeks

Regards

Docs Sep 30th, 2013 21:51

Yeah I noticed this on my new MY14 about a month ago even after a couple 250/300km runs, message up start/stop unavailable.
Took it to shop but of course it wouldn't do then, it was fully charged and start/stop worked perfectly.
Then last week noticed it again plus it won't even play the radio with ignition off, get a battery low message up, so off to dealer again when I get a chance.

Clan Sep 30th, 2013 22:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by volvorocks (Post 1491806)
Generally speaking I switch off stop/start as soon as I set off as I find it annoying in heavy traffic.

However today I found it wasn't working when switched on.

Being a beehive full of knowledge of all things mechanical and electrical I instantly knew what it was - or rather didn't as I have no clue on these things...!!!

I switched it on and came to a stop again, and it did not work, so I went into the settings via My Car, went to the sub menu 'Drive' and noticed it said ''battery charging'' and something about ''stop/start will not work when the battery is charging''. I have never seen this before, but then again probably because the battery for the stop/start has never been flat, so obviously wouldn't show!!

So I figured I would post for anyone whose stop/start appears to not be working to have a look at this first.

So in conclusion its not faulty, its just that the seperate battery for the stop/start needed a charge - which is understandable really as the car has been stood for a couple of weeks

Regards

Actualy it is the MAIN battery which needs the charge . The stop/start only works when the Main battery is more than 80% charged . The secondary battery a small gell battery is usualy always full because it is so small it charges quicky .
The Main Battery on the stop/start is an AGM flat plate type and they seem more troublesome than the standard calcium silver one fitted to non stop/start cars . It should hold good charge for at least 3 months if all is ok . You MAY need a new main battery depending on the results of the test at your dealer.

volvorocks Sep 30th, 2013 22:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 1491947)
Actualy it is the MAIN battery which needs the charge .

Thanks for that Clan. Informative. I thought it was the little stop/start battery! I will take the car for a long run tomorrow then to charge the main battery up fully.

Must admit that the car hasn't been used much in the last few months, standing for a couple of weeks to three weeks at a time, then a few short journeys, then standing again. Doesn't do batteries much good that I suppose.

Regards

Clan Sep 30th, 2013 22:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by volvorocks (Post 1491970)
Thanks for that Clan. Informative. I thought it was the little stop/start battery! I will take the car for a long run tomorrow then to charge the main battery up fully.

Must admit that the car hasn't been used much in the last few months, standing for a couple of weeks to three weeks at a time, then a few short journeys, then standing again. Doesn't do batteries much good that I suppose.

Regards

indeed , the worst enemy of a battery is not being used . You may find the damage already done .
The battery will need a long charge on a charger first , use one which is capable of supplying at least 15 or 20 Amps . Overnight is not always enough . and when charging it is Important to put the charger earth to the CHASSIS ( or engine or gearbox ) of the car NOT the negative battery terminal , otherwise the car's battery monitor will not measure the fact that the battery is being charged and it will affect it's calculations . Try it see how it goes , and if it fails again get your dealer to do the onboard battery test proceedure whilst it is not working ..

stutgart69 Sep 30th, 2013 23:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by volvorocks (Post 1491806)
stop/start not working

I would have thought that was a good thing...
Has to be the most annoying thing ever invented (with the possible exception of reality tv)

Clan Sep 30th, 2013 23:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by stutgart69 (Post 1492007)
I would have thought that was a good thing...
Has to be the most annoying thing ever invented (with the possible exception of reality tv)

around 8% fuel saving in circumstances where it is needed .

stutgart69 Sep 30th, 2013 23:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 1492019)
around 8% fuel saving in circumstances where it is needed .

Will the starter motors cope with all the extra work though?

Clan Oct 1st, 2013 19:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by stutgart69 (Post 1492029)
Will the starter motors cope with all the extra work though?

of course , it isnt the standard starter motor , you would be surprised how thorough volvo have been with the stop/start system , the mechanical side and the software side ..

stutgart69 Oct 1st, 2013 20:14

Unfortunately I have never had the pleasure of driving a new Volvo. But some silly womans insurance company were nice enough to 'loan' me a 320d M Sport for a couple of months the other year, and although I loved the car, I hated that stupid stop/start system. I actually found myself sitting at the lights with the clutch in all the time so that it wouldn't cut out. I think we drivers are born with an inbuilt fear of 'stalling' it , and it just doesn't feel right when the car does it all on its own.