Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S40 / V40 '96-'04 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   S40 V40 Cars: 2004 V40 1.9D Gradual loss of power & smoking (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=293865)

Dirty Diesel Apr 14th, 2019 20:00

2004 V40 1.9D Gradual loss of power & smoking

Good evening

I haven't posted here in a while, but as my V40 has decided to through out another problem, my return is eminent.

The matter at hand, is this: my V40 has slowly been losing power, not gutless, but noticeable, and is smoking what seems to be black smoke, with possibly a hint of blue from what I can tell.

Over the course of my ownership, I have replaced/repaired the following:

Cleaned EGR valve

Replaced MAF sensor

Replaced N75 Valve (Vacuum Control Solenoid)

Replaced Turbocharger

I've checked over the vacuum system, and all seems to be in order. Along with losing power, it doesn't seem to idle right either, it jumps around, usually dropping by up to 50RPM, it doesn't sound much, but I know somethings wrong, as it always idles spot on.

I've spoken with the user named Gatos about the matter, and all we could come up with was the injectors. Two of the injectors do seem to "click" more than the other two, when holding a screwdriver to either the top, or the metal base of, the injector, then listening to them through the screwdriver.

I must also mention that I do not have ready access to a diagnostic machine, but have used one recently, and no engine related codes were available, indicating nothing completely gone yet, or any electrical problems. Engine Management Light is also NOT present.

Could anyone shed any light on the matter? It's getting rather annoying, and I'm starting the wonder whether it'll pass it's MOT tomorrow.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks I'm advance

dieselderv Apr 14th, 2019 20:54

Problem

Unsure about v40 but on my many Saab 9-5s black smoke and poor performance were amongst other things down to a bellied out intercooler

Dirty Diesel Apr 14th, 2019 20:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by dieselderv (Post 2512924)
Unsure about v40 but on my many Saab 9-5s black smoke and poor performance were amongst other things down to a bellied out intercooler

Funnily enough, I did have an issue with the top intercooler hose coming off a couple of times, but once tightened back down it hasn't been a problem.

I don't think it's there intercooler, as I'm still getting reasonable performance, but thanks for the reply! I'll double check to be sure, but I think it's okay

AndyV7o Apr 14th, 2019 22:21

Symptoms would suggest excess fuel or insufficient air, given the work that has been done. Lack of power would suggest lack of air more.
Have you tried removing inlet pipe to maf to see if it helps?
There could be a liss of boost somewhere.
Also have you rechecked egr to ensure it isnt sticking open etc?
Did you clean out the inlet manifold when egr done?

clarkey1984 Apr 14th, 2019 22:32

Im unsure if diesels work the same, but when my t4 was being diagnosed a boost hose was removed to check something, and this gave a rough idle and lots of black smoke, as the fuel air ratio the engine is trying to maintain with the boost hose not connected is thrown way out of whack, it still sticks in the right amount of fuel but isn't receiving the amount air its expecting, so its conceivable that a boost leak would produce similar symptoms but on a lesser scale maybe?

AndyV7o Apr 14th, 2019 22:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by clarkey1984 (Post 2512948)
Im unsure if diesels work the same, but when my t4 was being diagnosed a boost hose was removed to check something, and this gave a rough idle and lots of black smoke, as the fuel air ratio the engine is trying to maintain with the boost hose not connected is thrown way out of whack, it still sticks in the right amount of fuel but isn't receiving the amount air its expecting, so its conceivable that a boost leak would produce similar symptoms but on a lesser scale maybe?

Yep. Worse for diesel as they work with full air all the time, only the fuel is adjusted. So, as you say, lack of air would produce smoke and power loss. Overfuelling on a diesel is more likely to just make it go like stink.

aldred309uk Apr 15th, 2019 22:32

I would be inspecting the intercooler pipe work and consider a strong dish soap mix in a squirty bottle and have someone gently revving the engine to get a little bit of boost into the system and start liberally spraying it looking for any bubbles. In my case when I did this I had a split in the under side of my pipe, first one off the turbo behind the engine at the bottom. I could see the liquid being blown by all of the leaking air. Hope this helps!

Dirty Diesel Apr 16th, 2019 11:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by aldred309uk (Post 2513238)
I would be inspecting the intercooler pipe work and consider a strong dish soap mix in a squirty bottle and have someone gently revving the engine to get a little bit of boost into the system and start liberally spraying it looking for any bubbles. In my case when I did this I had a split in the under side of my pipe, first one off the turbo behind the engine at the bottom. I could see the liquid being blown by all of the leaking air. Hope this helps!

That's a brilliant idea. I'm going to try that. I'm just hoping it's not the intercooler, as it's wedged between the radiator and the A/C condenser

bobthecabbage Apr 20th, 2019 21:05

I'm going to vote for the MAF sensor or the EGR valve.

Although I do wonder about an rpm sensor issue with the unstable idle.

Funnily enough I encountered a similar set of symptoms on a different vehicle today. I will let you know if I find the cause.