Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   Reduced Power - Power steering (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=288920)

WhatNext? Nov 22nd, 2018 22:55

Reduced Power - Power steering

I had this a few days after I got the car brand new. I took it for the dealer to have a look, the technician told me it was because the battery was low and he charged it. That seem to have cured it until yesterday, when the same thing happened (get above message on dashboard after the engine restarts from a stop/stop). So I charged the battery full last night, but it is still happening every time the engine stops with the stop/stop. This was also associated with a minor crash of software like the dash going very brief black and the display theme changing from my individual mode to the standard mode.

Anyone else with this

The only common thing between the two episodes is that is I think I was cold the first time it happened and it was cold yesterday/today

ChatsV60 Nov 23rd, 2018 10:21

I had the same thing with my V60, happend about 4 times mentioned it when it went in for its 3 months check. I think they updated the software a few days later it happened again this time the display blanked for a couple of seconds since then never noticed it.

John

T4ylor Dec 3rd, 2018 18:41

I just the same thing happen to mine which is a bit concerning as it’s only just over 2 months old. It to came on after siting at some lights with the engine not running.

Something else to keep an eye on.

IainG Dec 3rd, 2018 18:56

Hi

Quote:

.I took it for the dealer to have a look, the technician told me it was because the battery was low and he charged it.
How can this be an acceptable response by a dealer with a new car. Surely the car should be charging its own battery.
If it doesn't, surely there must be a defect on the car, either software or hardware.
They are surely just fobbing you off.
Charging a battery won't fix a defect.
Iain

WhatNext? Dec 4th, 2018 00:11

Second visit, apparently no fault could be found. they did a "reset" and I have seen the error again (only 1 day so far)

Any idea how to proceed if it happens again?

weemark Dec 4th, 2018 07:46

Depends how brave you are - you could always reject the car and ask for a full refund under CRA 2015 - that always focuses minds

nu11eaf Dec 4th, 2018 08:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by T4ylor (Post 2472589)
I just the same thing happen to mine which is a bit concerning as it’s only just over 2 months old. It to came on after siting at some lights with the engine not running.

Something else to keep an eye on.

I would say that the very fact that your stop/start system was and is working shows that your battery is ok, if your battery is low the first thing that stops working is the stop/start system. So I doubt that is causing your problem.

WhatNext? Dec 4th, 2018 16:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bloke69 (Post 2472697)
Second visit, apparently no fault could be found. they did a "reset" and I have NOT seen the error again (only 1 day so far)

Any idea how to proceed if it happens again?

EDITED : meant to say not

weemark Dec 4th, 2018 17:10

As I said it depends how brave you want to be - personally I wouldn't want to be driving round in a car that had issues with the steering, whether real or maybe just a software issue (tho if it was simply software you'd expect all cars on the same build to be showing exactly the same issue)

The legislation goes something like :- in the first 30 days you can reject as not fit for purpose then up to 6 months you have to give them one chance at repair. Sounds to me that's happened so it's your call - and while they will of course fight this legally they have no leg to stand on

Lexman8 Dec 4th, 2018 18:05

I rejected my first car under CRA rules 2.5 years ago. I asked for a replacement and three months later (it was another factory order) I got a brand new car.

I was able to keep driving the first car in the interim as it wasn't a safety-related issue.