Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC40 '18> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   Dead XC40 Recharge (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=331148)

topcatt Feb 26th, 2023 19:21

Dead XC40 Recharge

After 3 very enjoyable months, my new single motor XC40 recharge (P6) suddenly refused (solid red light) to take a charge from my home charger (Zappi). Worse still, the previous days 33% charge had disappeared overnight, so the car was showing 0% charge and was completely unusable - couldn't even select R to back it out the garage.
The Volvo Care call out technician eventually managed to get it into N, so we could at least push it out, but after about 2hrs tinkering gave up and arranged a flat bed truck transport to the local Volvo dealer. They have had it a couple of days, but still no idea what the problem is.
Anyone ideas anyone ?

topcatt Feb 27th, 2023 15:57

Update to the above post:

Volvo dealership have been in touch to say that the main HV battery is faulty and needs replacing. Obviously a major job, but they think I might get it back sometime next week. Hmm, we shall see.

Ulrikas PA Feb 27th, 2023 19:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by topcatt (Post 2881488)
Update to the above post:

Volvo dealership have been in touch to say that the main HV battery is faulty and needs replacing. Obviously a major job, but they think I might get it back sometime next week. Hmm, we shall see.

Hope it's sorted quickly.

I don't get how cars are getting through Volvo quality control or having major failures within such a short period of time. I'm presuming that the battery modules / assemblies are pre-assembled before being presented to production lineside ?

Imagine if Volvo were allowing regular combustion engines to have terminal failures when almost new. It doesn't make sense.

GrahamBrown1 Feb 27th, 2023 20:54

Yours isn’t the only one I’ve seen having the battery replaced at this sort of age.

It isn’t actually a major job, it all just drops out from underneath. Not even half as involved at say taking the engine out of a normal car. I had the opportunity to see one on a ramp at a dealership and there really isn’t a lot to them.

TeamG Feb 28th, 2023 15:37

I’m going to start stockpiling ICE cars to last me the 20-25 years past 2030 before EVs are fully sorted, reliable and affordable.

topcatt May 11th, 2023 19:10

Just to let everybody know, it took about 6 weeks to get a new battery fitted, but at least Volvo provided one of their XC40 fleet cars to keep me on the road. All fine with the new battery so far.

Looking back, the only 'warning' I had that something wasn't quite right was on a longish trip when the Google maps predicted arrival charge suddenly dropped by about 20%, only to recover to the previous value a minute or so later. At the time I thought it was just a software glitch, but I wonder now if it was an early indication of problems with the HV system. One to watch out for if it happens to you.