Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   C70 Convertible Purchase (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=280983)

DionBullock Apr 23rd, 2018 13:21

C70 Convertible Purchase

1 Attachment(s)
Posting this in the correct section this time! :D

Hi Guys! A C70 came up for sale on ebay very local to myself this week and with the spat of nice weather we've been having I thought "why not?"!! I really wanted a T5, but try and find a nice example in manual thats not over 200miles away and are asking top dollar!

It's a 2001 2.0T manual, she drives better than expected for a convertible but is best used to cruise along rather than attack the corners! I believe these are about 160bhp? What would a remap unleash, 190ish? Is it even worth it?

There are a few bits and niggles that I need to get sorted of the next few months. Mainly to sort out the "hunting" idle. From what I can gather it's probably either an airflow meter, ETM, spark plugs/coils or leaking injectors. I'll have to hook her up to a diagnostic tool before i start spending on parts! Do people still clean ETM's these days or replace with a new/refurb unit?? No lights up on the the dash either.

The drivers seat has seen better days, could anyone recommend a leather restorer? Or again is it easier to replace the seat from a breaker if one can be found in decent condition?

The plan is to enjoy it while the sun shines! :)

Edit;
Had the car a few days now and can't help notice the musty smell... The previous owner said the roof didn't leak, but do these fabric roofs trap anymore moisture than a hardtop car to give a more damp smell? Nothing is obviously wet when I have a feel of the carpets etc. weird.

ITSv40 Apr 23rd, 2018 20:56

Welcome to C70 ownership, they are gorgeous cars that are under appreciated.

Personally I wouldn't bother with a re-map, get it serviced and running well as standard and enjoy as is. As you have already found they are capable grand tourers and ideal for leisurely cruising around your area.

No idea on the ETM as I have never had to go there.

Can you post a photo of the seat as depending on how bad it is it may be best to replace with a better example, although I suspect most vehicles being broken will have shabby seats, so may warrant refurbing yours.

Any ragtop has the potential to hold water/leak. Give the hood a good clean and treat with waterproofing treatment to keep the fabric as water repellent as possible. Clean and check the roof seals and replace if perished. Make sure the scuttle drain hoses are clear of debris and also check the four drain hoses in the hood stowage compartment. They have round black plastic grilles over them and drain out behind the rear wheel arch liners. It is easy to blast an air line up from below or poke a bit of wire up while pouring water in from up above.

tony209 Apr 24th, 2018 06:53

It could be your a/c that is smelling musty and needs a clean.

Volvo offered a 2.0L T5 for the Italian market that had 220bhp so I would imagine you can get that much at least from a remap - though I would say your best option is to keep an eye out for a 2.3 T5.

DionBullock Apr 24th, 2018 09:37

I will try and get a photo of the seat up this weekend, it looks as though someone has tried to clean it with the wrong colour cleaner!

I'll have a good look for a roof treatment, as I said, no obvious signs of leaks but noticed the rear seat belt are a bit mouldy :S

I'm used to driving T5's, this one goes well to 60mph then lacks oomph afterwards! Still nice to have that 5 cylinder burble :D For what I paid, i'll keep her as she is for now power wise :)

pepper16 Apr 24th, 2018 19:15

Hi and welcome to the club !
I would agree with all that ITSv40 said for what its worth.
The 2.0 l T is perfectly capable.
You didn't mention what colour your interior is but I happen to know another member on here...known as Minty....may well have a good set of seats in black...come in very recently ?
He's a good guy...and is very reasonable with his prices....just a thought ?
Good luck..
Dave

DionBullock Apr 25th, 2018 17:19

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the reply guys! Forgot to mention it has baby poo beige interior! Here's the seat in question...

pepper16 Apr 25th, 2018 17:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by DionBullock (Post 2396989)
Thanks for the reply guys! Forgot to mention it has baby poo beige interior! Here's the seat in question...

Ok thanks for the photo...still worth checking with Minty....
He may still be able to help you.
Dave

pepper16 Apr 25th, 2018 17:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by DionBullock (Post 2396394)
I will try and get a photo of the seat up this weekend, it looks as though someone has tried to clean it with the wrong colour cleaner!

I'll have a good look for a roof treatment, as I said, no obvious signs of leaks but noticed the rear seat belt are a bit mouldy :S

I'm used to driving T5's, this one goes well to 60mph then lacks oomph afterwards! Still nice to have that 5 cylinder burble :D For what I paid, i'll keep her as she is for now power wise :)

I'm about to clean and treat my roof....when the weather conditions allow !
I am going to use the Autoglym clean and protect kit....which supposedly cleans and then waterproofs....I'll post my review of the product when I've managed to do it ?
Dave

ITSv40 Apr 25th, 2018 20:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by DionBullock (Post 2396989)

That certainly doesn't look good. Difficult to tell from the photo, but it looks like the actual leather surface is worn through/damaged, not just colour rubbed off. I'm sure a professional could restore it - but at a cost - and I agree with Pepper may be best to find a replacement seat. Hearing aid beige is quite popular, so shouldn't be difficult to find.