Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   Antifreeze/coolant (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=284168)

Zebster Jul 16th, 2018 11:09

Antifreeze/coolant

What coolant type would be in my 2015 V60 D4 (D4204T5)?

I've got some concentrated OAT type that is compatible with both my previous Honda Accord and my MR2 roadster and wondered if it was also compatible with the Volvo? Thanks

Zebster Jul 17th, 2018 15:21

So I've just checked the reservoir and it's orange. Does that help to work out what type it is?

I put my registration into Halford's website and all the resulting suggestions were for a silicate-based antifreeze, which surprised me.

Does anyone know the answer please?

Clan Jul 17th, 2018 15:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zebster (Post 2426402)
So I've just checked the reservoir and it's orange. Does that help to work out what type it is?

I put my registration into Halford's website and all the resulting suggestions were for a silicate-based antifreeze, which surprised me.

Does anyone know the answer please?

-If it is orange it is not volvo coolant that is granny blue very clear and clean . Why are you reluctant to get the volvo Coolant? It is the best you will get anywhere, it lasts indefinitely , and is more reasonable than Halfords ...

Zebster Jul 17th, 2018 16:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2426412)
-If it is orange it is not volvo coolant that is granny blue very clear and clean . Why are you reluctant to get the volvo Coolant? It is the best you will get anywhere, it lasts indefinitely , and is more reasonable than Halfords ...

How strange... the car is only three years old and has FVSH, most recently just a few months ago. I wonder why it might have the wrong colour antifreeze?

I'm not reluctant to get Volvo coolant if I really have to, it's just nice to have options (particularly when I have a large container of Toyota long-life anti-freeze). I rarely buy anything from Halfords, I was merely using their website results as an example. Is Volvo coolant only available from Volvo dealers?

In my experience (admittedly mostly with Honda, not Volvo) vehicle manufacturers rarely make their own service items but put their name on someone else's fluids, filters, fuel injection components, etc and therefore the exact same items can often be bought elsewhere, often far cheaper.

Clan Jul 17th, 2018 20:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zebster (Post 2426422)
How strange... the car is only three years old and has FVSH, most recently just a few months ago. I wonder why it might have the wrong colour antifreeze?

I'm not reluctant to get Volvo coolant if I really have to, it's just nice to have options (particularly when I have a large container of Toyota long-life anti-freeze). I rarely buy anything from Halfords, I was merely using their website results as an example. Is Volvo coolant only available from Volvo dealers?

In my experience (admittedly mostly with Honda, not Volvo) vehicle manufacturers rarely make their own service items but put their name on someone else's fluids, filters, fuel injection components, etc and therefore the exact same items can often be bought elsewhere, often far cheaper.

Volvo have never worked like that going back as far as I can remember , early 70's , they Tell the manufacture what parts / material / fluid they want and what quality they want and the manufacturer makes it for them ..

yes volvo coolant is only available from volvo dealers or volvo dealers on line ,( such as FRF Swansea )
Your coolant is probably a poor batch they used in the factory only in the last few years , it barely lasted a year corrosion wise but the freezing point was always ok at minus 37 C .. they have fixed that problem now .

Zebster Jul 18th, 2018 06:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2426536)
...Your coolant is probably a poor batch they used in the factory only in the last few years , it barely lasted a year corrosion wise but the freezing point was always ok at minus 37 C .. they have fixed that problem now .

So my 3 year old car was made using coolant that only lasted a year? I'm disappointed that it wasn't subsequently replaced during a service, nor when the EGR cooler was replaced!

Is the blue type compatible with the orange type?

Clan Jul 18th, 2018 09:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zebster (Post 2426651)
So my 3 year old car was made using coolant that only lasted a year? I'm disappointed that it wasn't subsequently replaced during a service, nor when the EGR cooler was replaced!

Is the blue type compatible with the orange type?

It depends , some turned from blue to orange/yellow after a year , others after 3 years , no idea what determines that , however that was an indication of the corrosion resistance not the freezing point , that was always minus 37 C ..

Yes if it was yellow it would/should be changed , there was an allowance to do that in the recall . so if it went in with yellow coolant it should have come out with fresh blue / green .

compatible > the yellow WAS blue to start with , the dye is designed to change colour when the corrosion inhibitor gets weak .

one more point , the coolant bought from volvo parts dept has ALWAYS been the very best type ..

Zebster Jul 18th, 2018 17:34

Ah, makes more sense to me now.

Not a hint of blue, quite a bright orange!

Thanks

Tiw5679 Jul 19th, 2018 17:36

I've just purchased 4ltr of concentrated antifreeze for £18.35 inc vat trade from local Volvo dealership

Clan Jul 19th, 2018 20:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiw5679 (Post 2427248)
I've just purchased 4ltr of concentrated antifreeze for £18.35 inc vat trade from local Volvo dealership

Remarkable value for what it is .. thanks for updating price .