Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   Year 2 Service - Items not included? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=131985)

darbs Aug 18th, 2011 15:25

Year 2 Service - Items not included?

my car is having it's 2nd yr service today, and i've just had a call from the dealer, and have a couple of things i'd appreciate feedback on.

firstly, they advised me the engineer recommended that the brake fluid gets changed, but it's not included in the service. i thought this was a bit odd. is it right that this is optional? if so, should i pay to get it done? i didn't ask how much, as i thought it a bit ridiculous that it wouldn't be part of a service.

they also told me the rear driver side tyre was wearing unevenly. this is 1 day after i had the tyres checked by kwikfit who advised me the wear was even across all of them! they said it was probably cause by a pothole and needed a wheel alignment, costing £120. are there any drive-in centres i could get this checked out apart from kwikfit? would they be able to do wheel alignment if i needed it?

crossedover Aug 18th, 2011 17:48

I would tell them to get stuffed.

If the fluid is not on the schedule it's fine.

As for the wheel alignment, firstly far too expensive, and secondly it is a constant bugbear of mine that dealers come up with expensive non-service items that are hard to prove - the usual favourites being disks and pads, though maybe in your case I guess they know they wouldn't get away with that if the car has done the miles.

Usually I take the car away for a second opinion (generally checking it myself), and have safed literally hunderds of pounds over the year.

In your case you already have evidence that things are ok from kwikfit, and you can be bloody sure if anyone was goint to try to flog you an alignment it would be kwikfit!

Leeds Lad Aug 18th, 2011 18:02

Brake fluid is Hygroscopic (takes on water) and takes a number of years to degrade, so for a dealer to suggest it gets changed after a couple of years is taking the mickey and possibly fraud! Uneven tyre wear, check it your self, roll the car forwards and check it with a ruler or a tyre wear gauge. £120 for tracking, definately taking the Pxxs, I'd go somewhere else or involve Volvo UK.

darbs Aug 18th, 2011 18:19

thx chaps.

Clan Aug 18th, 2011 18:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by darbs (Post 968088)
my car is having it's 2nd yr service today, and i've just had a call from the dealer, and have a couple of things i'd appreciate feedback on.

firstly, they advised me the engineer recommended that the brake fluid gets changed, but it's not included in the service. i thought this was a bit odd. is it right that this is optional? if so, should i pay to get it done? i didn't ask how much, as i thought it a bit ridiculous that it wouldn't be part of a service.

they also told me the rear driver side tyre was wearing unevenly. this is 1 day after i had the tyres checked by kwikfit who advised me the wear was even across all of them! they said it was probably cause by a pothole and needed a wheel alignment, costing £120. are there any drive-in centres i could get this checked out apart from kwikfit? would they be able to do wheel alignment if i needed it?

Firstly it IS included in the service as you will see when you get your service checklist,BUT at an extra charge to the 2nd year service , so the dealer should advise you of this and seek your authority . Volvo recommend it is changed every 2 years regardless of mileage , and every year if the brakes are used a lot as in towing or driving in mountainous regions .
Brake fluid absorbs water through the hoses and reservoir and when it is neglected could cause corrosion of very expensive hydralic brake units on your car . The fluids boiling point continualy lowers with age until when neglected it is barely over 100C .

DesertDog Aug 18th, 2011 18:50

My own 2 Dirhams worth:

Personally I change brake fluid every 2 years or so, on all of cars I've had in the past 10 years. But you can get it done for a lot less than the Volvo service centre are quoting!

Tracking? Forget it. I'd recommend that you have a full geometry analysis done - tracking only corrects the 2 or 3 basic measurements; have a full geo done and drive the car as it should feel.

There's a UK geometry expert in Watford, he's well worth a visit and it won't cost you an arm and a leg.

http://www.wheels-inmotion.co.uk/forum/

darbs Aug 18th, 2011 19:02

v. useful feedback. thx all. is anywhere good for changing brake fluid, e.g. kwikfit, or should i be more selective?

Another Aug 18th, 2011 19:16

Mine had it's 2nd annual service just a few weeks ago and it definitely had it's fluids brake changed.... The dealer made a big thing if telling me this was now STD procedure etc etc

I would dispute it - call Lancaster Readingb if youwant to get a second opinion

And all this was done as part of the free 3 yr service deal

DesertDog Aug 18th, 2011 19:16

Brake fluid: Anywhere within reason, assuming their competence level is sufficient. Kwik-Fit et al should be able to do the job.

Geometry: Forget the wheel balancing and tracking "experts", go for a geometry check. WIM (the top guy there is called Tony Bones) will put your XC bang on the money. I just wish there was somewhere here I could get the same service.

robg Aug 18th, 2011 20:23

its good practise for abs cars to change brake fluid every 2 years instead of 3, its much cheaper than any moisture damaging the ABS pump.

HOWEVER, if you pay the extra to get it done at yr 2, it then wont need to be done at year 3 if you have 3 year free servicing so volvo win!

If you plan to keep the car long term i would change ti at 2 yrs, if not then dont bother.