Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   S60 d5 (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=291801)

spursfatboy Feb 14th, 2019 15:22

S60 d5

Hi.

Going to have a look at a S60 D5 over the next few days. Just over 100k on the clock and priced around £1,500 on an 04 plate.

Im a little bit suspicious of a D5 with this low mileage being on for i would assume to be a fairly low price.

Not being familiar with these, is there anything I should be focusing on in addition to normal checks and test drive.

Any tips or pointers gratefully received.

Cheers

SFB

Spike56 Feb 14th, 2019 16:44

If it's auto give it a LONG test and go in and out of park and drive. Mine is 2011 @ 50,000, started messing around a few days after purchase! Cured itself but not without anguish!!

Otherwise beautiful car, not great mileage if dpf fitted. Comfortable cruising. Usual expenses to service ( I don't touch mine, dealer gets the money).

Mileage is an oddity. I bought an 03 Saab, 12 years old, 30000 on the clock. I have seen 2 year old cars with planetary mileage. It's the maintenance that's key!

Enjoy the ride!

Simmy Feb 14th, 2019 17:38

check how the mileage stacks up with the DVLA mot history check

Discombobulated Feb 14th, 2019 17:54

There’s a sticky at the top of this forum titled “what to look for when buying an S60” :tongwink:

spursfatboy Feb 15th, 2019 17:31

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Had a test drive today. Cambelt sticker on the cover indicates a change at 80k mile 5 years back.

However. Lots of rust around the door edges and by the sills under the windows. Few other issues like some of the speakers not working, S trim and the trader wanted £1250. Had to walk away.

davebb Feb 15th, 2019 18:17

Hi I am shocked that there is rust, I have a 2002 s60 d5 84K no rust,
these don't rust very often,
Dave

simonwedge Feb 15th, 2019 18:27

Agree, rust is not normally an issue on these cars - in the UK at least. You were right to walk away.

Harking back to the original post I still think it's possible to get an S60 with lowish miles for reasonable money. I paid £1,500 for mine 2 years ago with a documented 81,000 on the clock. It did need a few quid spending on service items and some cosmetics but it's a great car.

Spike56 Feb 15th, 2019 20:44

Lowish mileage is subjective though. Well maintained and looked after high numbers don't always matter, just as low mileage doesn't preclude rusting!

The S80 I had was 03 and had no rust anywhere.
The engine was great but the wheels were literally about to fall off!

spursfatboy Feb 15th, 2019 22:50

I was shocked to be honest and i wished i had taken some pics. That it was around each of the door edges and significant amounts above the handles.

Shame as the rest of the car seemed good. Nice drive and a stamped log book up to last year. But i think the rust is well established.

Sojournermike Feb 16th, 2019 07:33

It’s rare to see rust on anything built in the last 15 or so years, other than some cars’ subframes. I can’t imagine such a car having any real value.

I’ve concluded that the mot history check is very useful. If a car keeps getting worn/damaged tyre advisories or fails I conclude it hasn’t been maintained properly. You’ll usually find late services too.

OTOH, if it had expensive suspension trouble a year or two back the owner may have replaced the bits you thought would be your job!