Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   700/900 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   740 B230 E coughs and fuel guage goes up (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=80969)

XpatTech Sep 23rd, 2009 21:27

740 B230 E coughs and fuel guage goes up

Weird situation for a newbie on this forum.
I have a 1989 Volvo 740 with a B230E engine, just had head gasket done about 4 months ago.

My problem is that its a bit hard to start in a morning , funny bit is that when pressing the throttle it coughs at about 900rpm and the fuel guage goes up. Once its up about 1200/1300rpm its fine.

CTCNetwork Sep 23rd, 2009 21:45

Hi,

Have you tried to read any codes from the code reader?
See here:
FAQ: OBD Codes...

Des. . . ;)

grass hopper Sep 23rd, 2009 22:18

check the earth lead has not snaped of close to the o/s engine mounting,had this on a couple of cars.

James_N Sep 24th, 2009 03:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTCNetwork (Post 564295)
Hi,

Have you tried to read any codes from the code reader?
See here:
FAQ: OBD Codes...

Des. . . ;)

Would it have an OBD? Mine is an '89 B230E and has K-Jet so no OBD.

Fuel supply / filter problem?

CTCNetwork Sep 24th, 2009 10:12

Hi,

Check Here:
OBD?

You'll hopefully have a diagnostic box on the suspension turret on the drivers side.

Des. . . ;)

grass hopper Sep 24th, 2009 11:00

there are no diagnostics on a b230e,another thought it could still be a headgasket/head problem,if left for a while after run coolant could get in to a cylinder and cause a misfire until the coolant has burnt away,is it using coolant ?

XpatTech Sep 24th, 2009 12:32

No code box so no codes. Just found a snapped earth coming from the bulk head, but cant find where it should link to. There are 2 earth leads, one is short and straps the the top of the engine at the rear, the other is long and seems to go down the rear on the passenger side of the engine. Any ideas anyone ?

grass hopper Sep 24th, 2009 15:37

both the earth leads connect at the rear cam cover nuts,not found these to cause any problems unconnected,with you mentioning the gauges dropping down when running i was thinking possiby a broken main earth,follow the battery lead down to the o/s engine mount area and check its not snapped,this would cause poor cranking though.

as mentioned earlier coolant could be finding its way into a cylinder which can cause a misfire untill for a few seconds until its burnt off,recomend check coolant level to see if it drops after a few hundred miles.

XpatTech Sep 24th, 2009 16:09

Misfiring happens no matter how long the car has been running, did 50 mile round trip the other day and it was still happening. The only guage that moves is the fuel guage and it goes up not down. Coolant level has not moved since cylinder head gasket was changed some 6 months ago.

New alternator and battery fitted about 8 months ago and new dizzy cap and rotor 7 days ago. When i replaced the dizzy/rotor the problem seemed to reduce , but is now back as before.

Pulled a 2 tonne trailer about 1 month ago for 587 miles and it did not miss a beat. Problem started about 2 weeks ago.

Tom85 Sep 24th, 2009 17:11

My guess would be earth on the fuel level sender and fuel pre-pump in the trunk. I believe that there is one, most likely corroded.