Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   700/900 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   A Rather XXXXXXX Of ........ (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=151843)

bob12 Apr 28th, 2012 15:42

A Rather XXXXXXX Of ........

....... an Owner of an immobile 1990 Volvo 745!!!!

I went to Sainsbury's this afternoon ... got three quarters the way there .. realised I had forgotten my wallet .... turned around..... stopped at traffic lights at end my road .... sniff sniff ... what's that? ...thinks .... Common on fire ... can't be it's too wet ....... sees possibly blue smoke from the n/s front wing wafting into the air before has to move off into my road and drive .......... stops in drive ........ bigger gentle wafts of blue smoke and 'roasting today' smell from n/s front wing .... pops bonnet ... gets out smoke coming from back of wheel hub which 'quite' (understatement) warm, basically the wheel is xxxxxxx hot!!!!!!

Pulls off hubs cap and none the wiser really as it's sheeting it down with rain and not going to roll in water to jack car up and take wheel off. Tomorrow is another day!

Would seem that clearly the n/s calliper has seize or there's a problem with the pads etc. Car hasn't been driven for 7 days, but the n/s calliper hasn't done a high mileage.

Speaks to my mechanic ... no bother will get it all sorted next week.

Let's hope Mr Adrian Flux's b/down cover will trailer to my mechanic, or no renewal next year!

No doubt I shall look at all this in a diffrent light on Monday though.

Humpffffffffffffffffffff

Bob

mrmeringo Apr 28th, 2012 16:27

Footman James would of trailered it:kilt::thumbs_up:

Ian21401 Apr 28th, 2012 21:55

Not a pleasant experience. I hope it was just a sticky piston and is easily sorted.

mrmeringo Apr 28th, 2012 22:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian21401 (Post 1151479)
Not a pleasant experience. I hope it was just a sticky piston and is easily sorted.

:thumbs_up:

Laney760 Apr 28th, 2012 23:25

When my 760 front wheel brakes were getting very hot indeed I assumed the problem was the front brakes but it was because the rear ones were not working and the fronts were doing all the work but then most decent mechanics will be aware of this possibility although I met one that like me assumed it had to be the front brakes at fault. Hope its not too expensive

bob12 Apr 30th, 2012 13:06

As it's Monday and sunny I am now totally relaxed. For the record I got first class service from Adrian Flux Rescue when I phoned this morning. The car was loaded on to one of Mr McAllister's (local big boy tow company) low loaders and we were off all within 45 minutes to my mechanic's place.

I am now running around in a little strange green coloured Peugeot 206 ... just waiting for the bad news £££££££££!! Bob.

mrmeringo Apr 30th, 2012 13:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob12 (Post 1152648)
As it's Monday and sunny I am now totally relaxed. For the record I got first class service from Adrian Flux Rescue when I phoned this morning. The car was loaded on to one of Mr McAllister's (local big boy tow company) low loaders and we were off all within 45 minutes to my mechanic's place.

I am now running around in a little strange green coloured Peugeot 206 ... just waiting for the bad news £££££££££!! Bob.

:thumbs_up:

mikealder Apr 30th, 2012 14:34

More often it's the caliper sliders that jam on these rather than the piston, mine used to do it from time to time, when I got around to changing the brake pads both sides were siezed solid so I got a pair of used (but working) sliders from a local Indy cost me £15 for the pair - Mike

NigeS Apr 30th, 2012 14:42

As suggested sticky sliders which a removal of the pads and clean up should work. Sometimes old flexis can furr up/breakdown internally, whilst they still supply pressure when the pedal is pressed there isn't enough back pressure from the caliper piston to push the fluid back to the master cylinder, so the brakes drag.

bob12 Apr 30th, 2012 15:56

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks Mike and NigeS ... I assume by 'sliders' you mean the pins (see attached from the 'Parts Reader'). As I said this calliper hasn't done a great mileage .... 14,801 to be precise since I changed the whole job lot in late 2003. I suspect it's a lack of use that has caused it to seize up. Anyway now past fiddling with callipers so I await news! Cheers and thanks again, Bob.