Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   Anyone go for a FWD XC60? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=295555)

MattDell Jun 9th, 2019 23:51

Anyone go for a FWD XC60?

From what I’ve gathered the option of FWD on the XC60 is a new thing for MY2020 cars on the SPA platform.

I’ve ordered this spec to save around £1200 and, with any luck, help with the mpg.

That said, I’m finding it weird to be buying an SUV with FWD and can still change it. Will I regret it?

Sphinx2000 Jun 9th, 2019 23:58

If you live in area with hilly mountains or bad weather with snow - then 4wd would be better.

otherwise i think you will be fine.

molsal Jun 10th, 2019 00:13

I had the FWD previous D4 engined XC60, it returned an average over 45mpg during my ownership, and on touring hols would top 50mpg with ease. I fitted cross climates and had no issues , and I live in Wensleydale. My current MY2019 will only average around 41mpg at the moment, and around 46mpg touring.

Steve XC60 Jun 10th, 2019 10:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by molsal (Post 2527329)
I had the FWD previous D4 engined XC60, it returned an average over 45mpg during my ownership, and on touring hols would top 50mpg with ease. I fitted cross climates and had no issues , and I live in Wensleydale. My current MY2019 will only average around 41mpg at the moment, and around 46mpg touring.

I agree with this. We still have a Mk1 FWD D3 XC60 and an SPA AWD D4 XC60. Our mpg is similar to the above on both. If you care about driving in snow, the right tyres are more important than AWD. +1 for cross climates.

tangey Jun 10th, 2019 12:41

Regardless of car, I'd be hard-pressed to give up AWD on my next car. Very little to do with snow conditions, and much more to do with pulling out of side roads with some lock on in wet/slippery conditions, or just slippery conditions in general. The ability to get moving in a more predictable way in iffy weather is a big thing for me.

bobby2000 Jun 10th, 2019 12:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by tangey (Post 2527423)
Regardless of car, I'd be hard-pressed to give up AWD on my next car. Very little to do with snow conditions, and much more to do with pulling out of side roads with some lock on in wet/slippery conditions, or just slippery conditions in general. The ability to get moving in a more predictable way in iffy weather is a big thing for me.

I wouldn't want to give up my AWD. I find it so much more secure on wet roads, especially motorways. They are not just about snowy conditions.

simonjedrake Jun 10th, 2019 13:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattDell (Post 2527324)
From what I’ve gathered the option of FWD on the XC60 is a new thing for MY2020 cars on the SPA platform.

I’ve ordered this spec to save around £1200 and, with any luck, help with the mpg.

That said, I’m finding it weird to be buying an SUV with FWD and can still change it. Will I regret it?

Have you considered the impact that the FWD option will have on resale/trade in values when you sell it? The XC60 as an SUV is "expected" to have AWD and and FWD versions will IMHO have a marked reduction in 2nd hand values.

But if this a a company car purchase - then so what........!!!!

Zebster Jun 10th, 2019 13:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobby2000 (Post 2527427)
I wouldn't want to give up my AWD. I find it so much more secure on wet roads, especially motorways. They are not just about snowy conditions.

Why would a AWD be more secure during cruising conditions? Surely the benefit is merely drive traction when moving from stationary or while accelerating at low speed on a slippery surface?

AWD won't improve braking or cornering. Winter tyres bring a greater improvement in snowy conditions.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfuE00qdhLA&app=desktop

taylora Jun 10th, 2019 14:30

I only recently found out the difference between AWD and 4WD, for those like myself that were ignorant this is what I understand...

AWD is FWD pretty much all of the time unless the system senses wheel slip and will engage the rears. While 4WD is 100% of the time all four wheels driven.

So in the case of an AWD Volvo does that mean it'll only apply drive to the rears on slippery roads? So cruising is probably never going to engage the rears?

Deman77 Jun 10th, 2019 15:02

Not only that. Unlike German awd solutions Volvo’s are much more limited as to how much torque they can put through the back when they chose to do so - I think ours is 30% of the peak torque or so. So the only way they achieve 100% of current torque on rears is by breaking the front wheels as they detect slippage and that rear torque is tiny. That’s my rudimentary understanding. Quacker should be here telling the precise workings Any minute now.

The right tyres on rwd or fwd will beat awd on mediocre tyres in all but a few rare sets of conditions.

But for resale you will have a limited demand for non-AWD SUV as was said earlier.