Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   Diesel Engines (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=113)
-   -   Running a D5 engine - without the car... (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=273204)

aland Sep 26th, 2017 09:52

Running a D5 engine - without the car...

I have a spare 163 D5 engine in the garage. I also have it's ECU and most other parts.
I wonder if it would be possible to get the engine running without the car (and all the other systems etc) around it - for a large DIY generator project ?

I suspect the issue would be making the ECU happy without all the other car modules to talk to.
Alternatively, I see there are some aftermarket diesel ECUs about, but they appear to be customized and expensive from what I can see.
Any suggestions? (Other than forget it and just buy a diesel generator!)

cheshired5 Sep 26th, 2017 10:00

Getting it running would be easy enough but it wouldn't be running optimally so swings and roundabouts.

aland Sep 26th, 2017 10:09

For the proposed use it would be running at a constant 1500rpm (assuming direct-drive to the alternator) - so hardly enough to spin up the turbo. Might be better off without the turbo if I use this engine... or scrap the idea!

cheshired5 Sep 26th, 2017 10:23

It's a VNT turbo so would work from low revs but you don't say how many inputs you're keeping.
MAF, MAP, EGR etc..... Also, will you be keeping the original air intake, intercooler, cooling system, alternator.....?

Tannaton Sep 26th, 2017 22:46

Given the D5 is fairly compact and light for a diesel, I did have idle thoughts a few years ago about putting one in a Spitfire. Then reality bit me...

You would need to overcome...

Starter/immobiliser systems (could use existing switch, keys, fobs and security unit I guess?)
Lack of integration with the TCM (if doner was auto) and speed sensors
Instrumentation?
Would it all work without say the ABS/DSTC system ECU (from which the ECM takes inputs)?

To get your constant 1500 rpm you could try and use the cruise control but this would really take some trickery....

Volvo did produce a marinised version of the D5 with simpler ECU and modified software for a flatter torque curve, but god knows where you'd get one from....

Dancake Sep 26th, 2017 23:27

I can't see why it wouldn't be possible. All you need is a fuel injection management system and a starter system. Whether the existing ECM could be taylored to suit is the question.

NAD Sep 28th, 2017 20:47

There must be a way of doing it. There is a marinised version of the D5 that is used in powerboats, which must have a simplified wiring loom etc. Have you thought about enquiring to see if that is available? It may make your task much easier!

luggsey Sep 28th, 2017 21:09

I used to maintain diesel generators, the last site I worked at had a 1mw multiple turbo diesel so your idea of using a turbo charged diesel is a good one.
Just a couple of points, generators have big flywheels sometimes to compensate for a large load switching in and dragging rpm down before the engine responds with throttle response and turbo lag.
You would need to factor that in as well as throttle response to load.
Generators have a controller which sorts this bit out.
Unless you want a headache I would buy a generator!
:thumbs_up:

aland Sep 29th, 2017 15:02

Thanks all.
Currently this is a 'what if' project idea, simply because I have the engine and occasionally need a large generator.
I have built a generator from bits once before - but it was a far smaller 3kw one based on a Honda engine with mechanical governor.
That worked OK, but the mechanical governor is not great - can't control sudden load changes which means the output voltage and frequency jumps all over the place.

I have experience of 'inverter generators' which solve this issue and produce beautiful sinewave outputs, but I don't think you can scale that up very well because of limitations of the electronics.
The 'large flywheel' approach is the obvious answer to this with a conventional AC alternator, and then electronic speed control to carefully manage the throttle input to an ECU to control the engine.
I'm aware Volvo Penta may be the easiest answer if using the current engine - but I suspect the ECU alone would cost more than just buying a decent s/h generator in the first place!

Because of plentiful aftermarket ECU availability, a petrol engine would probably be far easier if building... or just buy a ready-build unit!

Tannaton Sep 30th, 2017 17:25

How much power do you need? Computer UPS power supplies are a good source of pure sine wave inverters and are usually cheap to buy once their batteries have expired.