Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   How late into order can you change colour? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=273777)

Jimrod Oct 13th, 2017 12:06

How late into order can you change colour?

I was told, at least a month ago that my S90 spec was "locked in" and couldn't be changed, not even the colour, by the local Volvo dealer. It is due to arrive on December 20th.

Thing is I've order a black R-Design and after handing back the Wife's black car at the end of it's lease today I'm very concerned about wear and tear on black paint (mine will also be a lease) compared to silver, also the silver looks pretty decent as it shows the shape better! :)

So does anyone know how late lock-in really is for a paint colour? Surely that could go right up to the day of manufacture you'd think?! Three months seems very excessive... I've not been able to get details of my actual date of manufacture or why it can't be changed... The dealer just said it can't be done.

Thanks for any advice!

GJB Oct 13th, 2017 12:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimrod (Post 2327069)
I was told, at least a month ago that my S90 spec was "locked in" and couldn't be changed, not even the colour, by the local Volvo dealer. It is due to arrive on December 20th.

Thing is I've order a black R-Design and after handing back the Wife's black car at the end of it's lease today I'm very concerned about wear and tear on black paint (mine will also be a lease) compared to silver, also the silver looks pretty decent as it shows the shape better! :)

So does anyone know how late lock-in really is for a paint colour? Surely that could go right up to the day of manufacture you'd think?! Three months seems very excessive... I've not been able to get details of my actual date of manufacture or why it can't be changed... The dealer just said it can't be done.

Thanks for any advice!

Probably on a train from China?

familymangreg Oct 13th, 2017 12:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by GJB (Post 2327072)

I can't remember the exact timings, but I could make changes to my order within a few weeks of the build date, it wasn't as long as 3 months.

:wq

Jimrod Oct 13th, 2017 12:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by GJB (Post 2327072)

Would seem early even for that! Couple of weeks max surely...? (now the route is working)

MtillingVolvo Oct 13th, 2017 14:30

Usually the latest change dates are around 3-4 weeks before the vehicle is due to be built.

As the lead times are very long on S90 (if you ordered one now you would be looking at around March/April 18) the timings are different, especially as they are allowing a month for the vehicle to come from China to us at present.....

Ask your dealer to send you a screen print from the Vista ordering system and you'll be able to see the car status including the last date of order change.

Jimrod Oct 13th, 2017 14:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by MtillingVolvo (Post 2327131)
Usually the latest change dates are around 3-4 weeks before the vehicle is due to be built.

As the lead times are very long on S90 (if you ordered one now you would be looking at around March/April 18) the timings are different, especially as they are allowing a month for the vehicle to come from China to us at present.....

Ask your dealer to send you a screen print from the Vista ordering system and you'll be able to see the car status including the last date of order change.

Great, thanks for that info! I'll give them a bell...