Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   XC60 New 'old Gen' on order: Which engine? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=265969)

Ima Poster Apr 2nd, 2017 20:32

XC60 New 'old Gen' on order: Which engine?

Hi - I've got a 2.0 D4 FWD Geartronic on order, but with no firm delivery date. With the risk of vilification of diesels, should I try to change to the T5 motor? Would cost an extra £50 or so a month in fuel and nearly all my motoring is motorway between Devon and Wales, so inclined to stick with my choice but interested in opinions. Thanks.

bobby2000 Apr 2nd, 2017 20:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ima Poster (Post 2257092)
Hi - I've got a 2.0 D4 FWD Geartronic on order, but with no firm delivery date. With the risk of vilification of diesels, should I try to change to the T5 motor? Would cost an extra £50 or so a month in fuel and nearly all my motoring is motorway between Devon and Wales, so inclined to stick with my choice but interested in opinions. Thanks.

I would stay with your original choice, at that sort of mileage I think it's a no brainer.
Good luck with whatever you choose.

kwills Apr 2nd, 2017 21:27

I have the T5 motor in my 2017 XC60.. it has a really nice 8 speed box and I can't help myself with keeping it out of sport mode.

NigelDay Apr 2nd, 2017 21:41

You really need a test drive to sort this out, and of course know the cut-off date for your order. Personally, I find the D4 to be effortless on motorways, and that is even without the flexibility of geartronic.

kwills Apr 2nd, 2017 21:52

You will pushed to find a T5 in the dealerships.. they are mostly D4s. Our dealership (FRF) said they hardly see T5 XC60s.

NigelDay Apr 2nd, 2017 23:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwills (Post 2257152)
You will pushed to find a T5 in the dealerships.. they are mostly D4s. Our dealership (FRF) said they hardly see T5 XC60s.

You could always ask Volvo UK which dealership has a T5. Oh, sorry, you are probably wasting your time. Unless they have changed since 2015, they don't have a database of this information. Strange omission for an importer.

Tannaton Apr 3rd, 2017 00:15

If you are thinking of changing your order because of all the talk about diesels being hit with taxes and charges, I wouldn't bother, if they do anything it will probably start with Euro 3 cars are maybe even older.

xsaab Apr 3rd, 2017 10:55

But to the brexit voting voice of the people they will only distinguish between petrol or diesel, categories such as EU 3, EU 5, EU6 are all too complicated for them to understand.
So expect to have your diesel car's body work keyed and sprayed with anti diesel slogans.

They will conveniently forget that it is a diesel powered van that delivered the over sweetened junk to the supermarket.

MtillingVolvo Apr 3rd, 2017 13:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by NigelDay (Post 2257185)
You could always ask Volvo UK which dealership has a T5. Oh, sorry, you are probably wasting your time. Unless they have changed since 2015, they don't have a database of this information. Strange omission for an importer.

You've not asked the right dealership... we've had the ability to do this for years....

There are no physical unsold T5's in the country at present. Hildenborough at Tonbridge have 2 (both R-Designs) which are fixed specification and due them soon I would have thought and multiple more on order.

This doesn't account for any dealers who have cars marked up sold that aren't really in order to "hide" them from the rest of the dealer network, so there may be unsold vehicles out there to have a drive in....

NigelDay Apr 3rd, 2017 13:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by MtillingVolvo (Post 2257350)
You've not asked the right dealership... we've had the ability to do this for years....

There are no physical unsold T5's in the country at present. Hildenborough at Tonbridge have 2 (both R-Designs) which are fixed specification and due them soon I would have thought and multiple more on order.

This doesn't account for any dealers who have cars marked up sold that aren't really in order to "hide" them from the rest of the dealer network, so there may be unsold vehicles out there to have a drive in....

Thanks Marc. I've long realised that a good dealer is worth far more than the folk at Volvo UK !