Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   850 T5-R estate - squatting down at rear (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=338856)

Woolley11 Mar 18th, 2024 20:47

850 T5-R estate - squatting down at rear

1 Attachment(s)
I’m just pondering the rear stance my 1994 T5-R has.

I bought it a few months ago and it’s not been on road yet.

It seems to squat at the rear - when engine running there’s no change so I’d suspect self levelling suspension (if it has it fitted).

It’s been off road a few years so wonder if it’s springs have sagged ??

I understand they are a little lower at back but this seems very low - unless previous owner has had no standard springs fitted.

Luxobarge Mar 18th, 2024 22:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woolley11 (Post 2941338)
when engine running there’s no change so I’d suspect self levelling suspension (if it has it fitted).

Eh? Engine running has got nothing to do with self-levelling suspension on these, it's passive.

Does it have the right stance after a drive? If so, then sagging Nivomat shock absorbers.

rabbituk Mar 18th, 2024 22:58

In order for the self leveling to do its thing you simply need to drive a few metres. I've done this many times when I did some tip runs with 20 odd sacks of rubble (I know, how could I do this to my car but I couldn't get a skip because property was right next to a bus stop and didn't want to wait 'n load).

Woolley11 Mar 19th, 2024 06:23

Ah right - thought with engine running it would operate the “compressor” if fitted.

I’ve an Alpina 5 series estate that rises slightly if been stood a bit once the engine starts up.

I’ll take a measurement and then drive up and down a bit then take another measurement

Will report back

Rich850R Mar 19th, 2024 08:54

If its on original suspension its highly likely they are shot

Simmy Mar 19th, 2024 18:18

its also possible that someone may have replaced the nivomat shocks with ordinary shocks the springs that are used with nivomat shocks are very soft and cannot be used with ordinary shocks this results in a very low rear end. check what shocks are fitted.

Woolley11 Mar 21st, 2024 07:52

Well I ran it up and down where I store a bit, and it made no difference to the stance.

I’m due to strip the brakes at rear so can have good look over.

I’ve measured 30cm (about) from just under wheel arch to centre of hub.
Just wondered what other members car’s measurements might be

Rich850R Mar 21st, 2024 08:20

They are definitely knackered unless you are running Coilovers! Mine is low on coilovers and thats the exact measurement i have!

Luxobarge Mar 21st, 2024 22:19

IMHO these only look right if the sills are parallel to the ground. I'd take it to a truly flat smooth surface and measure ground to sill gap at each end and on both sides, this will tell you if it is indeed sagging at the rear and by how much.

How to fix it depends on whether you have Nivomat self-levelling shocks or a standard set-up, so you need to tell us that.

Woolley11 Mar 25th, 2024 17:25

Well I’ve measured the bottom of sill cover to ground at front and same at back - there’s 18cm at front and 16.5cm at rear.

So I need to investigate what suspension is fitted at rear of car. I’m not sure as not had a wheel off it since I got it.

It could be just sagged with it been layed up a long time. I guess it could be wrong springs for the shocks or other way round.

Not aware it’s got coil overs as would have thought front and back set to the same tide height.