Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   Diesel Engines (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=113)
-   -   D5 Water leak at rear (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=288366)

Rich118 Nov 8th, 2018 10:45

D5 Water leak at rear

Hi All I have a xc90 55 plate with the D5 185bhp engine. The car looses water pretty slowly I've changed the front radiator as this was damp part way up and think this has helped however with the undergrad off there is a drip of coolant coming from the gearbox near the drain. I can see that it's run down from the back of the gearbox however I loose it after that :( I've tried looking with my flexible camera etc but just can't see the source. Does anyone have any information on what pipes are back there and how you access them ?? I assume the turbo is a watercolor unit ??
Thanks for the help
Rich

cheshired5 Nov 8th, 2018 12:31

Hopefully you'll find some guidance in this thread.

Rich118 Nov 8th, 2018 18:09

Thank you, I know what I will be checking tomorrow out of interest how did you find that as I tried searching the fourm several times and never found that post.

cheshired5 Nov 8th, 2018 22:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich118 (Post 2465000)
how did you find that as I tried searching the fourm several times and never found that post.

I remembered the thread because I'd commented on it but regardless, don't use the forum search facility as it's rubbish.
Just use Google site search and you'll usually find what you want.

Rich118 Nov 9th, 2018 19:02

2 Attachment(s)
had a look today and that was my problem, The breather part has also warn through the metal part on the turbo inlet pipe so think i will replace both of them and fix them together before fitting.
Thanks for the info would have been the last place i checked.

Thassos Nov 9th, 2018 22:09

leak

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Rich,

I had a similar leak on my D5/s60 caused by the hose chafing against something, the breather hose assy is one whole part from volvo the worst bit
is getting at the ring loop thing where yours is leaking, a fiddle to get the clamps on, you might want to consider some of those crush ring type hose clamps and the right tool. I think i have the ring end off the old hose if you want it, from memory it hadn't worn like yours and was in good shape.

Attached a pic of the spaghetti hose assy !, is it easier to get at on the xc90?

Rich118 Nov 10th, 2018 23:04

Hi thanks for the reply I had to climb up onto the engine on the xc90 to remove it but there is space. As a temporary measure I have joined the two pipes with a copper pipe but would like to put it back to standard. I believe the metal part on the inlet pipe is a insert so I think I will try and remove this and make a new one.
If you do still have the ring end that would be fantastic as that's the only part that has worn on mine and like you say the whole part from Volvo is a bit expensive.
thanks again
Rich

Rich118 Nov 11th, 2018 16:14

Hi thanks for the private message unfortunately I'm still just under the post count for private messages so could you possibly private message me your email and i can message back.

Rich118 Nov 17th, 2018 11:44

5 Attachment(s)
Hi thought I would just update and say this problem is now hopefully permanently fixed.
I have attached some pictures as I think mine was a particularly bad example, the inlet pipe had also worn away so the water had been leaking into the inlet.
I had the radiator and intercooler out as this looked damp part way up and found the intercooler to have a lot of coolant in it. luckily I think this had been acting as a water trap stopping it going in the engine in any quantity. The engine runs smooth etc so hoping I've dodged a bullet as I know how much damage water does. I've replaced the intercooler pictured as it was budging possibly age possibly due to the water pressure?
The metal part on the inlet pipe is just a push fit I just turned a new one up I made mine 58mm long 16mm wide with a 11.5mm hole in the middle, The original is 15.9mm and slightly larger internal hole but I wanted a slightly tighter fit and the hole was done for ease.
Hope this helps anyone in the future
Rich