Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   XC60 Active Bending Headlight Failure (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=289322)

iandoot Dec 4th, 2018 14:48

XC60 Active Bending Headlight Failure

The active bending function of my offside headlight has stopped working with a warning message on the display. Taken into Volvo dealership who advised that the unit needs to be replaced at a cost of £1,500. No problem I thought, my extended Volvo provided warranty will cover that. Dealers called me today saying that the warranty claim has been refused as 'lamps' are excluded! I have now spoken to the warranty dept and they have confirmed this to be correct. Anyone made a similar claim?
After further discussions, they have agreed to send a claims engineer out to review. Failing that they say I should contact Volvo customer services to see whether they are prepared to help.

Turnwood Dec 4th, 2018 15:15

This is why I can't be bothered with extended warranties - it seems like they will try and come up with any excuse not to pay, even if it is a proper Volvo provided warranty it seems! My argument would be that joe blogs would quite rightly assume that 'lamps' refers only to the normal failure and replacement of the bulb and not the mechanical failure of the whole headlight unit. Lets hope they come to their senses, but if not then I suspect you would have fairly strong grounds from a legal perspective. Can you post a copy of the precise policy wording?

iandoot Dec 4th, 2018 15:28

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Turnwood (Post 2472846)
This is why I can't be bothered with extended warranties - it seems like they will try and come up with any excuse not to pay, even if it is a proper Volvo provided warranty it seems! My argument would be that joe blogs would quite rightly assume that 'lamps' refers only to the normal failure and replacement of the bulb and not the mechanical failure of the whole headlight unit. Lets hope they come to their senses, but if not then I suspect you would have fairly strong grounds from a legal perspective. Can you post a copy of the precise policy wording?

I completely agree. It would be reasonable to exclude bulbs but this is a mechanical failure of the motors that turn the headlight.

Turnwood Dec 4th, 2018 15:35

Hmmmm.... Interestingly it lists 'lamps' and 'bulbs' as separate items which somewhat weakens my argument. However, this is precisely the type of expensive non-wear and tear failure that should be covered by this type of policy. It will be really bad form if they do repudiate your claim.

iandoot Dec 4th, 2018 15:49

It seems ludicrous that they will pay the cost of replacing Bi-Xenon bulbs but not the cost of replacing an entire Bi-Xenon unit where there has been mechanical failure. Just doesn't seem right to me. If they refuse, Volvo will have lost a customer when I come to change cars next year.

Turnwood Dec 4th, 2018 16:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by iandoot (Post 2472856)
It seems ludicrous that they will pay the cost of replacing Bi-Xenon bulbs but not the cost of replacing an entire Bi-Xenon unit where there has been mechanical failure. Just doesn't seem right to me. If they refuse, Volvo will have lost a customer when I come to change cars next year.

Not right at all and just confirms in my mind why I would not touch these policies with a barge pole. In these circumstances you realise why PCP deals that include servicing and then a change of car every three years have become so attractive to those looking for hassle free motoring.

Mick787 Dec 4th, 2018 18:03

Bulbs grow in the ground. They are lamps. As iandoot says, if the lamp is lit but the unit is not bending, the lamp is fine, it's the motor unit or something in the feed to that unit.

Consider taking this to the Ombudsman, but don't expect a quick resolution to any complaint.

Tannaton Dec 4th, 2018 18:55

Agree with everything that has been said.

We call them "bulb" because the traditional light bulb was "bulb" shaped but the correct terminology is lamps. Lamps have a finite life and thus like wiper blades, brake pads, etc. are consumable items and excluded from warranties (except by Jaguar, interestingly... who cover HID bulbs in their 3 year warranty).

However I think it is clear from your description that the failure you have is a mechanical or electrical failure of the headlamp unit (or "luminaire"). This should be covered buy the warranty - it is the same principle of saying your wiper motor is not covered because wiper blades are consumables.

Personally I would bypass the dealer and go to Volvo UK Customer Services. It's shambolic that you should have such a frustrating time wasting experience with a premium brand.

Rocinante Dec 4th, 2018 19:16

I would strongly dispute their interpretation of "lamp",
Your lamp (commonly called a light bulb) has not failed, a component of your head light has failed. If they don't know the technical difference, this is their problem.

"In technical usage, a replaceable component that produces light from electricity is called a lamp. Lamps are commonly called light bulbs; for example, the incandescent light bulb.[3] Lamps usually have a base made of ceramic, metal, glass or plastic, which secures the lamp in the socket of a light fixture."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_light

AndyJudge Dec 4th, 2018 20:29

Very bad form if they're not covered.

The headlight unit is a component not a bulb or lamp. It states that any sudden mechanical or electrical failure of any factory fitted Component is covered.

I'd be on the phone first thing