Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   V40/XC '12> Articles (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=195)
-   -   V40 D4 Fault Code P04D9 (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=287757)

Robdav655 Oct 21st, 2018 10:34

V40 D4 Fault Code P04D9

Hello all, had a 64 plate V40 D4 for about nine months no problems , the last 2 though amber warning light, had it checked comes back as P04D9 EGR cooler pipe and sensor. ( I think)
contacted Volvo direct as I had read all posts in google etc and at 90k miles I was curious that it had got this far without any problems. Turns out this car had the known problem at 56k ( last owner did 30k in 12 month) wow. Anyways Volvo say as the problem was addressed by them in Jan 17 it is no longer their problem. :confused_smile:
I would agree if they had fixed the initial problem not just temporarily,
So my question is can I get Volvo to do it gratis, or how much will it cost me .

cheers in advance.:tongwink::tongwink:

Clan Oct 21st, 2018 10:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robdav655 (Post 2459596)
Hello all, had a 64 plate V40 D4 for about nine months no problems , the last 2 though amber warning light, had it checked comes back as P04D9 EGR cooler pipe and sensor. ( I think)
contacted Volvo direct as I had read all posts in google etc and at 90k miles I was curious that it had got this far without any problems. Turns out this car had the known problem at 56k ( last owner did 30k in 12 month) wow. Anyways Volvo say as the problem was addressed by them in Jan 17 it is no longer their problem. :confused_smile:
I would agree if they had fixed the initial problem not just temporarily,
So my question is can I get Volvo to do it gratis, or how much will it cost me .

cheers in advance.:tongwink::tongwink:

doesn't sound like a good service adviser in that dealer , you should be getting some sort of goodwill depending on what the problem is , That fault code is not a recognised volvo code .. what is the VIN ?

Robdav655 Oct 21st, 2018 11:29

Hello mate , I will check that fault code , came up as EGR cooler pipe sensor???
Vin is YV1MVA8L1F2215045

Robdav655 Oct 21st, 2018 13:13

Fault Code

Many Thanks Clan , I will have to bite the bullet and get it down to Stoke to have it diagnosed , once I have all the details I shall , be back in touch, what policies will cover the EGR if this is the case

cheers

ROB

Robdav655 Nov 8th, 2018 16:27

Ok well I have been to Stoke Volvo , surprise surprise it is same fault as NON volvo diagnostic P049D900 ( same code all but 00 on the end) cost me £100 to find out EGR at limit requires cooler and manifold, recommends cylinder leak test to confirm route cause, I asked if the software had been upgraded when the replace/repair was done Jan 17, told that may not have as it wasn't standard practice back then, as it stands I now have to pay for cooler and manifold + labour as a temp fix or have the cylinder leak test done which could possibly lead to needing a new engine,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, cosmic,,,,,,,,,,,,, in 11 months the car has gone from being one of the best cars I have ever had to a costly useless nail that I will have to come up with a solution of how to rid unless there is some way of getting Volvo to pay for a problem they know all about and have previously only half fixed only to fail again.

Robdav655 Nov 9th, 2018 11:37

Egr

Thanks for info CLan, sorry unable to reply via PM , I will get onto the dealer , couldn't readily see the pipe T junction mentioned but I am not exactly MECH savvy.
hopefully they will see sense and do a full repair under warranty if not I will seek legal advice

keep you posted

Zebster Nov 9th, 2018 11:54

I find these stories very worrying for those of us with VEA engines.

So far as I can tell mine has had the EGR and cooler replaced and, currently, I'm not having problems in that area. But I'm getting recurring P014c problem relating to soot build-up on an exhaust sensor.

Robdav655 Nov 9th, 2018 19:38

Bad news

Hi All

Thanks for the info it will be of help but at present I have hit a wall,,,,,,,, following another call from Stoke Volvo I have been quoted £1100 +VAT :shocked:
I have explained the situation fully, also contacted customer services uk,,,, I cannot and will not pay that sort of money for a problem that is well documented as a manufacturing fault.
Really don't want for this to turn into a battle but fear I will have no choice , sad really as the car is great ( or rather it was) and had more than one Volvo in the past, ( 850T5R being the love of my life until I rolled it owe my life to that car so have the greatest respect and love of Volvo) but this experience is starting to dampen my ardour for this brand:_:

Clan Nov 9th, 2018 21:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robdav655 (Post 2465343)
Hi All

Thanks for the info it will be of help but at present I have hit a wall,,,,,,,, following another call from Stoke Volvo I have been quoted £1100 +VAT :shocked:
I have explained the situation fully, also contacted customer services uk,,,, I cannot and will not pay that sort of money for a problem that is well documented as a manufacturing fault.
Really don't want for this to turn into a battle but fear I will have no choice , sad really as the car is great ( or rather it was) and had more than one Volvo in the past, ( 850T5R being the love of my life until I rolled it owe my life to that car so have the greatest respect and love of Volvo) but this experience is starting to dampen my ardour for this brand:_:

you really need to drop into a different dealer with your problem , they may handle it more correctly .

Robdav655 Nov 13th, 2018 20:00

Egr

Can anyone tell me how much the repairs to my VEA D4 V40 with completely blocked cooler pipe I have been told £110+Vat is this a correct amount , how long can I run the motor with the engine light on

cheers