Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   D5 - no power when kick down (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=280846)

NorthantsPete Apr 20th, 2018 08:56

D5 - no power when kick down

Hey
So i noticed this really weird problem after a long 360 mile run out

At about 310 miles and after a fillup of fuel ,the car goes into low power mode (not limp/no errors on dash) you try to kick down and theres just no power like there's a rabbit caught in my air intake.

So, next day fire, up problem is gone and its driving like a beast.
No issues for the next couple of days. last night it was a monster, really shifting well. I go to fill up with tesco diesel (i know i know) an add my ecomax additive.

So today i fire her up go down the motorway and theres no power again. I was driving like miss daisy, so I didnt notice until i went uphill to overtake something and couldnt. If i squeeze the throttle i can get upto any speed i like but kick down and flaw it and the revs rise slower than normal and no power.

185bhp D5 07 400nm (or 20nm in this mode!)

Any ideas? Its non permanent so it isnt the usual pipes leaking etc. and weird it happens twice after a refill of fuel. Last time i didnt have my additive so put in Shelll Vpower and this happened. L

Tannaton Apr 20th, 2018 09:57

Morning....

The notion that it is supermarket fuel is unfounded. There are six refineries that produce petrol in the UK and none of them are owned by Supermarkets..... it's the same stuff more or less that you get from a branded forecourt.

First thing is to get is plugged in to some diagnostic equipment that understands Volvo - i.e. preferably Volvo VIDA at a dealer or Indie. There are a number of faults that can put the 185 D5 into a not well documented "restricted power" mode (rather than limp mode) and this doesn't put any lights or messages on the dashboard.

The scenarios I have personally experienced are intermittent or complete failures of the DPF and Catalyst temperature sensors. In this mode the revs are limited to around 3k rpm, but under that it will drive okay so it's possible not to notice - even on an auto - if you are just pottering about.

colinbos Apr 20th, 2018 11:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorthantsPete (Post 2394844)
Hey

and weird it happens twice after a refill of fuel. Last time i didnt have my additive so put in Shelll Vpower and this happened. L

When was the last time the fuel filter was changed ?

seanc Apr 22nd, 2018 16:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorthantsPete (Post 2394844)
Hey
So i noticed this really weird problem after a long 360 mile run out

At about 310 miles and after a fillup of fuel ,the car goes into low power mode (not limp/no errors on dash) you try to kick down and theres just no power like there's a rabbit caught in my air intake.

So, next day fire, up problem is gone and its driving like a beast.
No issues for the next couple of days. last night it was a monster, really shifting well. I go to fill up with tesco diesel (i know i know) an add my ecomax additive.

So today i fire her up go down the motorway and theres no power again. I was driving like miss daisy, so I didnt notice until i went uphill to overtake something and couldnt. If i squeeze the throttle i can get upto any speed i like but kick down and flaw it and the revs rise slower than normal and no power.

185bhp D5 07 400nm (or 20nm in this mode!)

Any ideas? Its non permanent so it isnt the usual pipes leaking etc. and weird it happens twice after a refill of fuel. Last time i didnt have my additive so put in Shelll Vpower and this happened. L

My D3 had a split turbo pipe which would intermittently put it into proper limp mode, tell tale was that I could hear it hissing, I presume you're not hearing anything unusual on yours....

NorthantsPete Apr 23rd, 2018 14:45

No its really weird. it was dodgey this morning, fine last night and fine at lunch today

literally hit and miss, rev, no power, like my maf used to on my old mk2 petrol turbo.

Andy c70 Apr 24th, 2018 14:35

Might be worth checking the little plastic arm that controls the swirl flaps, I had this problem and the arm was disconnected from one end, I also had fault codes for the MAP sensor but it could have been all down to that little bit of plastic! It's just under the engine cover to the front left looking from in front of the car, you'll probably see it hanging if it's disconnected.

apersson850 Apr 24th, 2018 22:50

I had the waste gate control valve malfunctioning on my car. Just barely made 90 km/h when towing an empty trailer. Slowed down even in a slight uphill.

NorthantsPete Apr 27th, 2018 13:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy c70 (Post 2396476)
Might be worth checking the little plastic arm that controls the swirl flaps, I had this problem and the arm was disconnected from one end, I also had fault codes for the MAP sensor but it could have been all down to that little bit of plastic! It's just under the engine cover to the front left looking from in front of the car, you'll probably see it hanging if it's disconnected.

interestingly the map sensor was hanging down when i bought the car, maybe they already knew of this fault and got a code to say similar.

ANy pics of this or more description, i cant see it?

Andy c70 Apr 27th, 2018 22:14

Hi,

The MAP sensor on mine (56 plate c70 D5) is behind the front bumper almost behind the fog light (right hand side looking at the car from front), it's located on the pipe from the intercooler. Had to remove bumper to get to it and couldn't see it from above, if you search for Volvo MAP sensor on eBay you'll see what it looks like.

When I initially had the problem I got a cheap obd reader from euro car parts for about £15 and got codes p2227 and p0069 that pointed toward the MAP sensor. Took me about an hour to do- bumper off, change sensor (1 min), bumper back on- and it's been fine since. The engine system service message cleared itself after a few days driving. If you go back a couple of weeks on the c70 <07 forum you'll find my post and the help I received!

Hope this helps

Andy

Andy c70 Apr 27th, 2018 22:17

The little black plastic arm that you might see hanging down is the control arm for the swirl flaps. You'll find lots of info if you Google 'Volvo D5 swirl flap control arm'