Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   XC60 Front tyre wear (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=286497)

organgrinder Sep 16th, 2018 21:31

XC60 Front tyre wear

Hello all,
My 2016 XC60 D5 AWD has significant tyre wear on the inside of each front tyre - even wear on both sides. The rest of the tyre area has significant tread left - about 50% but the inner remaining 25% has little left. I am seriously unhappy about having to replace both tyres with 75% of the tread area having 50% wear left. 30K miles covered on these tyres from new. Any thoughts? Does this suggest some mis-alignment?

Clan Sep 16th, 2018 21:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by organgrinder (Post 2448249)
Hello all,
My 2016 XC60 D5 AWD has significant tyre wear on the inside of each front tyre - even wear on both sides. The rest of the tyre area has significant tread left - about 50% but the inner remaining 25% has little left. I am seriously unhappy about having to replace both tyres with 75% of the tread area having 50% wear left. 30K miles covered on these tyres from new. Any thoughts? Does this suggest some mis-alignment?

I think you will find you have been running the pressures too low ,I see this on a daily basis , nobody seems to care about tyres or maintain them … Keep them to at least 38 psi on your new tyres to greatly reduce this ...

organgrinder Sep 16th, 2018 22:04

Thanks for this Clan but I regularly check the pressures and run at 38/39 PSI. Any other thoughts?

paul chocks Sep 16th, 2018 22:31

I'd get a full AWD alignment done (not just tracking) if you are worried, however, 30,000 miles seems pretty good to me. How much were you expecting?

Clan Sep 16th, 2018 22:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by organgrinder (Post 2448258)
Thanks for this Clan but I regularly check the pressures and run at 38/39 PSI. Any other thoughts?

that's good ,, If the tyres wear on inner and outer edges and leave the centres with a lot more tread it can only be pressures , This wear could have occurred a long time before you started keeping your tyre pressures up of course , They have lasted a long mileage though ,

Rex65 Sep 16th, 2018 23:10

Inner edge wear is due to excessive toe out or excessive camber,
A proper alignment check is required but 30k is good anyway.
I'm at 28k with even wear but will need replacing soon.

Clan Sep 17th, 2018 11:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rex65 (Post 2448281)
Inner edge wear is due to excessive toe out or excessive camber,
A proper alignment check is required but 30k is good anyway.
I'm at 28k with even wear but will need replacing soon.

Inner edge wear only at front and rear is fairly common too I have always found that is due to low tyre pressures as well but not as low as to cause both edges to wear ..

Tannaton Sep 17th, 2018 12:16

As has been said - get a full AWD alignment as soon as you can, wear on the inside edge is a alignment issue and/or worn bushes but at 30k that is unlikely.

Tyres do last better with the higher (Eco) pressures but on some cars, especially R-Design variants, the ride quality isn't as good as you feel every matchstick in the road... not very Volvo like.

On some of the Volvo XC models with higher profile tyres (60+) its possible to get 50k to 60k out of a set of carefully driven SUV/4x4 tyres. My 2WD XC60 managed about 45k on its factory boots, My XC90 is over 30k into a set of Cooper Discoverer MS2's and still have 6mm+ of tread (they start at 10) and they are soft Winter tyres that I run all year round... My XC70 had done 20k on a set of Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Seasons and you can hardly tell they're worn, but my Mrs V50 struggles to get more than 18k out of a set of fronts and that is driving Miss Daisy...

AndyJudge Sep 17th, 2018 13:58

I'd be happy with 30k out of a set of tyres even with some uneven wear.

Just replaced all 4 of mine & the inner edges were a bit more worn than the outers on the fronts. like inners were on the wear markers but outers had a smidge more to go on them.

ripstandem Sep 17th, 2018 14:13

Same problem, inner edge wear

I have kept tyres well inflated yet still have excessive wear on inside edge of front tyres.
My XC60 is 2015 on 42k miles
Had all wheel alignment done couple of months ago, there was some dissalignment but nothing significant, all aligned now will see how things go over next 12 months.
At best part of 30k from a pair of tyres I won't throw any more money at the problem