Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   Falling Apart (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=303944)

Miles of Smiles Feb 25th, 2020 14:55

Falling Apart

2 Attachment(s)
Just wanted to get some thoughts on this.....

The XC60 came with extended wheel-arches because it originally had 22" wheels. I beleive this all comes as a kit when ordering the wheels.
We swapped these out for 20" for ride comfort.

On Sunday we went to Bristol, got back late evening only to find part of the wheel-arch missing.

Phoned the dealer yesterday morning who was very non committal but asked for pics. Haven't heard anything since.

Do you see this as a part being under warranty as a Manufactured Fitted Part??

I can't have them removed completely as it appears they drill a hole - I assume for a clip.
EDIT: Just found on VolvoCarParts.Info website (from another thread) circa £335.00 to buy separate - no wonder the dealer is being quiet!!

PS - Apologies about the sideways pictures - not sure how to rotate them?!!

Clan Feb 25th, 2020 15:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miles of Smiles (Post 2603823)
Just wanted to get some thoughts on this.....

The XC60 came with extended wheel-arches because it originally had 22" wheels. I beleive this all comes as a kit when ordering the wheels.
We swapped these out for 20" for ride comfort.

On Sunday we went to Bristol, got back late evening only to find part of the wheel-arch missing.

Phoned the dealer yesterday morning who was very non committal but asked for pics. Haven't heard anything since.

Do you see this as a part being under warranty as a Manufactured Fitted Part??

I can't have them removed completely as it appears they drill a hole - I assume for a clip.

PS - Apologies about the sideways pictures - not sure how to rotate them?!!

They are held on by a plastic press stud and adhesive tape around the edge as you see. There are very secure from the factory they do not fall off of their own accord . Either someone has stolen it, ripped it off , or a cars bumper has swiped it and pulled it off . you can see the adhesive is still strongly attached to the wing . you can buy a new one easily enough , the biggest part of the job is cleaning the old adhesive off , a hair dryer can work wonders in softening the glue allowing you to scrape it off with a PLASTIC tool . Finally use methylated spirit or Neat volvo wash fluid to get the paintwork clean and grease free before sticking the new one on . Heat the wing and trim up with the hairdryer before fitting , It wont come off again :-)

Miles of Smiles Feb 25th, 2020 15:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2603828)
They are held on by a plastic press stud and adhesive tape around the edge as you see. There are very secure from the factory they do not fall off of their own accord . Either someone has stolen it, ripped it off , or a cars bumper has swiped it and pulled it off . you can see the adhesive is still strongly attached to the wing . you can buy a new one easily enough , the biggest part of the job is cleaning the old adhesive off , a hair dryer can work wonders in softening the glue allowing you to scrape it off with a PLASTIC tool . Finally use methylated spirit or Neat volvo wash fluid to get the paintwork clean and grease free before sticking the new one on . Heat the wing and trim up with the hairdryer before fitting , It wont come off again :-)

Thanks Clan.
I've got to be honest, I was quite surprised to see it missing, and I am in agreement about how a clip and the sticky would come loose and fall off.
Hard to tell from the pic as the car is dirty, but I'm 99.99999% sure its not been hit as there are no other marks on the car.... which means some scumbag has ripped the thing off.

Struggling with paying £335.00 for a new set so may try and see if just that part can be re-ordered - fingers crossed.

Clan Feb 25th, 2020 16:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miles of Smiles (Post 2603839)
Thanks Clan.
I've got to be honest, I was quite surprised to see it missing, and I am in agreement about how a clip and the sticky would come loose and fall off.
Hard to tell from the pic as the car is dirty, but I'm 99.99999% sure its not been hit as there are no other marks on the car.... which means some scumbag has ripped the thing off.

Struggling with paying £335.00 for a new set so may try and see if just that part can be re-ordered - fingers crossed.

you don't need a whole set , just buy that part it should come pre painted .

Miles of Smiles Feb 25th, 2020 17:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2603852)

Struggling to find the part to be honest....

https://www.volvocarparts.info/Volvo...8575-72308.htm

Found it on here and tried googling, but only finding US sites - and they're selling as whole kit (all four wheel-arches)

I shall keep up the search.

AB-UK Feb 25th, 2020 17:40

Scrap yard perhaps?
Might be difficult to remove without damage though.

nu11eaf Feb 25th, 2020 17:48

Be careful with the hairdryer, some get so hot they will melt plastic, I used one on my wife's watch to dry out some moisture on the inside of the screen and it melted it in seconds. Oops

Philip Fisher Feb 25th, 2020 17:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2603852)

You sure they are pre painted? I recently damaged my plastic door bottom trim which is similar. They were only available unpainted.....

Clan Feb 25th, 2020 21:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by nu11eaf (Post 2603877)
Be careful with the hairdryer, some get so hot they will melt plastic, I used one on my wife's watch to dry out some moisture on the inside of the screen and it melted it in seconds. Oops

remember a paint oven is very hot , 80 c!

Clan Feb 25th, 2020 21:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miles of Smiles (Post 2603864)
Struggling to find the part to be honest....

https://www.volvocarparts.info/Volvo...8575-72308.htm

Found it on here and tried googling, but only finding US sites - and they're selling as whole kit (all four wheel-arches)

I shall keep up the search.

umm just phone your local dealer or am i missing something?