Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   '07 XC70 rear bumper removal (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=291806)

Auldgit Feb 14th, 2019 16:50

'07 XC70 rear bumper removal

Hi all, still have a problem with the reversing sensors, need to get the bumper off and have a look to see what's occurring now the weather's getting a bit warmer, can't really see where to start..... Is there a video or photo guide anywhere on the forum that would help? Can't find anything myself, any help appreciated. AG

jgjones095 Feb 14th, 2019 20:17

Have you a Haynes?

If memory serves there are two screws within the rear arches that tighten a bracket down.

There are also 2 or 3 bolts that you need to access through the boot well.

Auldgit Feb 14th, 2019 21:49

Hi, no, don't have Haynes for XC, only V70. Perhaps I'd better get one. Thanks for the info re fixing points- just what I was looking for. Cheers.

100K+ Feb 15th, 2019 09:21

There is also a electrical connector for the radio ariel on the driver side. It pulls out as you withdraw the bumper. I found it too short to reconnect so ended up extending it- makes reinstalling MUCH easier.
The wheel arch torx screws were a PAIN to remove, despite soaking in WD 40 each day for a week before I tried to remove them. - someone on here gave me a heads up.
Just get them out, 1st time I drilled one and "mole gripped" the other and replace - any similar self tapper works.

Cheers
Bob

Auldgit Feb 15th, 2019 10:05

Well thanks for all that. All useful info., just what I was after. Definitely sounds like a job for a warm sunny day.........! Cheers AG

jeremycolley Feb 15th, 2019 10:52

You also have to remove the mudflaps (if fitted) - make sure you have some new plastic rivets to re-fit them with as you'll probably mangle up the old ones when you remove them

reggit Feb 15th, 2019 11:08

Took mine off with the mud flaps in place, just needed to bend them round the bumper.

There are 4 bolts accessible through holes on the inside of the boot, if it’s not been off before these may be covered with sound deadening, but it’s marked and serrated and just pulls out. The bolts are designed to fall into the void between the inner and outer skins of the panel. I found kitchen roll over the socket I used was effective at gripping the bolts, after I spent an hour trying to retrieve the one I dropped 😂

Auldgit Feb 15th, 2019 17:12

Well that sounds exactly like the sort of thing that happens to me. Invaluable! Cheers.

Longhouse21 Feb 15th, 2019 23:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by reggit (Post 2495855)
I found kitchen roll over the socket I used was effective at gripping the bolts, after I spent an hour trying to retrieve the one I dropped 😂

I've not removed these particular bolts but, in circumstances like this, I've found bluetac or sticky tape to work well in retaining fastenings in the socket... I've thought about adapting some sockets by inserting a small neodymium magnet in the base....

petey Feb 16th, 2019 09:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Longhouse21 (Post 2496058)
I've not removed these particular bolts but, in circumstances like this, I've found bluetac or sticky tape to work well in retaining fastenings in the socket... I've thought about adapting some sockets by inserting a small neodymium magnet in the base....

Holding an old speaker against the ratchet or extension works well too...