Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   XC60 pulling to the left (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=285239)

J30 YAP Aug 13th, 2018 20:11

XC60 pulling to the left

My 2018 XC60 with 19” wheels slightly pulls to the left. Taken it to the stealer and they said it is normal for that size wheels because of the road camber. I quite doubted it. However when I took it to Europe after a couple of days, it was perfect. Stayed straight without a hint of pulling. I supposed because of the road camber in Europe. This makes me think the geometry of my car is designed for LHD driving.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Clan Aug 13th, 2018 22:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by J30 YAP (Post 2436945)
My 2018 XC60 with 19” wheels slightly pulls to the left. Taken it to the stealer and they said it is normal for that size wheels because of the road camber. I quite doubted it. However when I took it to Europe after a couple of days, it was perfect. Stayed straight without a hint of pulling. I supposed because of the road camber in Europe. This makes me think the geometry of my car is designed for LHD driving.

Does anyone else have this problem?

The car has minor adaption for any pulling after a while it should sort itself out , how long has it been pulling for ? Don't ignore the obvious , tyre pressure low or suspension damage , have you hit anything ?

Ringthane Aug 13th, 2018 22:04

My understanding, and someone correct me if I’m wrong, is that all uk cars pull to the left. Whether because of the road camber, or steering geometry, it’s designed to stop an incapacitated driver, careering into oncoming traffic.

The question is how badly does it pull to the left.

GJB Aug 13th, 2018 22:27

No not usual.

molsal Aug 14th, 2018 00:21

My XC60 drives dead straight on our less than level country lanes.

Quacker Aug 14th, 2018 09:14

It shouln’t pull left on most normal roads. None of my current cars, including the XC90 do. I’ve had ones in the past though, and ones that tramline and were deflected by as much as the white line paint on the road. Some would call that kind of thinf ‘responsive’. I call it ‘rubbish’. Just like ‘torque steer’.

However in this case it is not a design feature of the Volvo.

MaDProFF Aug 14th, 2018 09:19

For the most part I would say all my cars have gradually (quite a while before I have to correct it) pulled to the left on some roads, really does depend on the road though, I would say on some roads they do run pretty well true for a decent amount of time too.

As others have asked, have you hit a pot hole, Curbed, etc.

Is there wear on the inner or outer edges of one the tyres?

For a piece of mind could always have the car checked over for tracking / alignment etc.

molsal Aug 14th, 2018 23:43

It's not the lane assist pulling you away from the centre line by any chance is it?

Quacker Aug 15th, 2018 00:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by molsal (Post 2437433)
It's not the lane assist pulling you away from the centre line by any chance is it?

Pilot Assist does steer nearer to the left white line on motorways than to the right. Many people have observed this and Volvo claim there is no adjustment, although some contributors here claim that their dealer has indeed adjusted theirs.

The trick here is not to fight the Pilot Assist auto steer feature. Not unless absolutely necessary of course, but I have not come across such a scenario yet.

A car pulling to one side is tiring to drive, because it requires constant pressure on the steering wheel to stay in lane. I've had a couple or three over the years.
Tyre wear or just slightly faulty tyres can cause it, especially if you live somewhere like Swindon which is roundabout-city. Cars are turning sharply right most of the time [unless you are going anti-clockwise on the 'magic roundabout].

J30 YAP Aug 17th, 2018 18:16

Thanks everyone for the replies.

It seems to be particularly noticiablle on the motorway when in higher speed. Some are worst than the others depending on the road camber.
I also have noticed that it is worst when I have 2 passengers, which means it is heavier on the passenger side of the car.

I cant remember hitting a pothole nor can I remember if it was like this when I got the car.

I have checked the pressures. Tried different pressures from 36psi to 39psi (19” tyres). Higher pressure seems to be better.

Funny that...coz yes, I live in Swindon. Lol