Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   700/900 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   What would you replace your 940/960 Estate with? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=324072)

Skyedriver Mar 9th, 2022 17:00

What would you replace your 940/960 Estate with?

I've had 740/940/960 Estates for the last 18 years, the current 940 for the last 7 years or thereabouts. Has a few mods, goes well, no rust, 200K miles.
Wife keeps suggesting we sell it and TBH at times we could do with something even more capacious. Thought about the XC60 & V90 but there's less carrying space in them. Considering a Ford Galaxy but they're boring and a Range Rover but not sure about their reliability record.
If you were selling your 940 what would you buy? VW T5 Transporter?
Budget: lets say £10K.

Familyman 90 Mar 9th, 2022 17:25

I had owned mine from new and replaced it with a new P2 V70. In some ways very similar, in some ways quite different, but it did much the same job and did it very well. There are still some excellent examples about that would give you years of service and massive change from your budget.

If you want to step outside of the latge estate car formula then you'll need to be a little more specific about your requirements. A Range Rooney and a Galaxy are very diffetent beasts from each other, never mind from a traditional large estste.

lynns hubby Mar 9th, 2022 17:46

We had been through the 240 940 route and were looking for something to take its place.
Wife always had eyes for the XC70. That was about 5 years ago.
We managed to get a 2006 D5 and have been over the moon with it. The advantage with the XC70 over the V70 for me is that being a little higher off the ground, with me not being as young as I once was, its a bit easier to get in and out of :) The handling does not seem to be effected by the wee bit of extra height and its a pleasure to drive.
You do need to be prepared for "Lap top" stuff if you have any issues. Service messages can be reset with a key sequence but that's about all with out a laptop and the software.
We love it though.

Forrest Mar 9th, 2022 18:10

I currently own three 940 estates and a Mk1 V90 and it is my intention to keep at least one 900 series estate for a long time to come.

Van-like people carriers do have a lot more space though. I and a friend with a Ford Galaxy helped another friend move house a few years ago and I was shocked how much more we could get in the Ford than the Volvo.

I have also been tempted by a Range Rover, primarily for the 4WD capability, but it would have to be an older one, not one of the new ones that looks like the back end has been sat on by an elephant.

Other cars that I have seriously considered owning, for various reasons, over the years are:

Morris Minor Traveller
VW Beetle (original)
MGB GT
MG TF
Chrysler 300C Estate
Chrysler PT Cruiser
Vauxhall Carlton Mk1 Estate (my father did own one of these in the 80s)
Mercedes W123 Estate
Jaguar XJ6

However, the only other cars I have owned are a couple of MK2 Cavaliers and a Scirocco Mk2 which I still use as a summer car.

I am not currently minded to own anything new, electric or hybrid. I tend to keep cars longer than the batteries are likely to last.

john.wigley Mar 9th, 2022 18:13

Likewise, we'd had our '87 745GLE for 18 years when it finally expired in '16.

We replaced it with a late '00 Ph. 1 V70 and hope to keep that one going for a few years yet! It seems slightly smaller inside than the 7/9 series estates, but what we miss most is the steering lock of the earlier cars; that of the FWD V70 is huge by comparison!

With a budget of £10K, you will have a much wider choice, 'Skyedriver'; our V70 cost less than one, and values seem to be remaining firm - maybe even appreciating a little in line with current trends.

Regards, John.

griston64 Mar 9th, 2022 18:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyedriver (Post 2812394)
I've had 740/940/960 Estates for the last 18 years, the current 940 for the last 7 years or thereabouts. Has a few mods, goes well, no rust, 200K miles.
Wife keeps suggesting we sell it and TBH at times we could do with something even more capacious. Thought about the XC60 & V90 but there's less carrying space in them. Considering a Ford Galaxy but they're boring and a Range Rover but not sure about their reliability record.
If you were selling your 940 what would you buy? VW T5 Transporter?
Budget: lets say £10K.

Might be interested when or if you sell :teeth_smile: Based in Glasgow / Dunoon

Skyedriver Mar 9th, 2022 19:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forrest (Post 2812416)
I currently own three 940 estates and a Mk1 V90 and it is my intention to keep at least one 900 series estate for a long time to come.

Van-like people carriers do have a lot more space though. I and a friend with a Ford Galaxy helped another friend move house a few years ago and I was shocked how much more we could get in the Ford than the Volvo.

I have also been tempted by a Range Rover, primarily for the 4WD capability, but it would have to be an older one, not one of the new ones that looks like the back end has been sat on by an elephant.

Plan was to keep this 940 lpt (with mods) for ever but times move on and while Wife says she doesn't like driving it, I can't see her driving a Galaxy, RR, or whatever. Neighbour has an XC90, there doesn't seem as much room in it as the 940 and things like the later V90, XC60 etc are definitely smaller inside.
Main use would be a mix of local shopping and collecting son of bus where a little car would do (I do have a lotus Excel & a Caterham) but also holiday trips (Me, wife 16 year old lad, two dogs in cages and too much luggage!) and if I could use it for an overnight stay at a motorsport event (hence the Galaxy or VW T5) then so much the better. Needs to be capable of towing.

volvo always Mar 9th, 2022 23:26

For me another 940! Practical, easy to maintain and reliable.

Tempted by a Lexus RX 300/400h but expensive to buy, insure.

Have a 2015 Auris Hybrid estate, practical, but not as big as the 940. Also don't think you can tow anything with a hybrid.

Toyota Estima, Previa etc?

James

Laird Scooby Mar 10th, 2022 00:43

With that kind of budget Tony, i'd look seriously at a Honda Odyssey or better still, Elysion. If you really want 4x4 capability, some Elysions are available with this and with a huge load deck and removal rear seats at the back (leaves middle row in place) sounds like it would fit your criteria.

Early versions have a 3.0V6 VTEC engine and auto box generally (the auto box is essentially a hydraulically shifted, electronically controlled manual with a lock-up torque converter so no worries about loss of efficiency through the box), later ones had a 3.5V6, many versions have a system that drops 3 cylinders out for light cruising enhancing fuel economy which can be exceptional (for the size of car/engine) on a run although round town you're looking at low-mid 20s.

The downside is they're import only so come equipped with a JDM spec ICE/Sat-Nav unit that most people change for a UK spec ICE and stand-alone sat-nag or phone. Many also have roof mounted DVD players (only rear passengers can see them i believe) as well and multi-zone climate control as well.

That said i'd just keep the Volvo in the first place and only replace it if some clumsy oaf wrote it off or it suffered terminal tinworm.

Skyedriver Mar 10th, 2022 07:06

Thanks everyone, some interesting suggestions there Laird S, 4x4 not a necessity and not sure I really want an auto TBH.
Keep the 940 is the most popular option amongst this board and my wallet too.
I'll keep you posted, thanks.