Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Throttle cable - v70 (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=296928)

Buryan Jul 24th, 2019 09:17

Throttle cable - v70

Carrying on from my last thread re: the throttle cable for my '99 V70 - which must be one of the last cars with a throttle cable - does anyone know where I can get one please? I have searched the net and they are all for a left hand drive, which mine is not!

Many thanks.

Update - I presume from my researches that these are unobtainable now and am trying to find a Bowden cable manufacturer to make me one and if I do, will post the result.

SteveSarre Jul 24th, 2019 09:25

Hi Buryan

Auto or manual gearbox?

Steve PZ

Clan Jul 24th, 2019 10:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buryan (Post 2538946)
Carrying on from my last thread re: the throttle cable for my '99 V70 - which must be one of the last cars with a throttle cable - does anyone know where I can get one please? I have searched the net and they are all for a left hand drive, which mine is not!

Many thanks.

Update - I presume from my researches that these are unobtainable now and am trying to find a Bowden cable manufacturer to make me one and if I do, will post the result.

Have you tried the obvious , The volvo parts dept? !

sdg1970 Jul 24th, 2019 12:44

Wot he said above - AFAIK it's a Volvo only part, like the bonnet cables.

Alternatively, you could send the old cable to a bespoke supplier and they may be able to make you one up. I doubt it would be any cheaper though..

huron Jul 24th, 2019 13:59

Go down your local bike shop with your old one, they'll make one up on the spot.:cool:

Cookeh Jul 24th, 2019 14:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2538976)
Have you tried the obvious, the Volvo parts dept? !

Manual throttle cables for the 850s (same part) were discontinued several years ago, autos were discontinued last year.

Part number for the 850s is 9445234 if you want to cross-check that against your V70, Buryan.

Quote:

Originally Posted by huron (Post 2539043)
Go down your local bike shop with your old one, they'll make one up on the spot.:cool:

I've been wondering about doing this recently as mine is knackered, but removing the cable without breaking the firewall clips is a nightmare, and I'm also curious as to whether or not they could build in the adjustment so it can be tightened/slackened as per the original part.

huron Jul 24th, 2019 15:04

They just take everything off the old one and build into the new inner and outer. Take some pics so you remember where it all goes.

Buryan Jul 26th, 2019 19:38

Steve - mine's an auto - thanks.

There is one major problem to all this helpful advice - when I have yanked the old one off, I can't drive the car anymore to go to the local bike shop to have a new one made - - !!! With a buggered Freelander, it is the only car I have at the moment - except for a 940 on blocks for brakes and a Riley 2 1/2 only half re-built! I have already been onto a bespoke cable manufacturer who says the problem is that car makers have made Bowden cables deliberately difficult with plastic mouldings etc., in order that the part can only be replaced via Volvo spares (which indeed I tried, first!). I should be grateful if anyone has a second-hand one exactly for the purpose of seeing if this gentleman can make replacements. Here is his reply and address:

Kevin Whincup <kevin@cable-tec.co.uk>
Wed, 24 Jul, 10:06 (2 days ago)
to me

Thanks Kenneth,

I hate to turn away work, but car throttle cables of the last 15-20 years are laced with plastic parts and special trick cast parts.

It’s an OEM trick to ensure you have to buy genuine, and of course to ensure that the cable /spare is hard to copy and tooling expensive to reproduce.

Good luck finding a spare, and I will be happy to look at this once you do.

All the best

Kevin

Best regards

Kevin Whincup
General Manager
cid:875545707@28052009-00f1

Bob Meadows Jul 26th, 2019 20:01

https://speedycables.com/ may be worth a call- quite well known in the classic car world also https://www.carbuildersolutions.com/...-linkage-parts for cables & associated items.

The Riley- no such problems there- rods & ball joints! I have one.
Good Luck
Bob.

Buryan Jul 27th, 2019 11:20

Good HEAVENS STEVE!!! Pz!!

This site won't let me reply privately to your message - WHY NOT - it says I have to have had 30 postings first - how RIDICULOUS - I have been a member since 2009! I am NOT a new member at all - don't know how that happened, either! SO - in modern parlance (!), everyone shall have to see the reply - NOT MY FAULT!

My telephone here has virtually no signal - in fact I had BT out yesterday to see if they can put in a landline - and 6 poles - - !! I am between Sancreed and St. Just road at Botrea.

Thank you so much and let's meet?

k.runcimanannand@gmail.com

0750 615 4405 - for what it's worth and pls don't leave msgs because I hardly ever get them!

I really want to get my 940 back on the road - but income disappears too fast in the wrong directions! - and I have a 1952 Riley to finish a complete re-build and re-construction as a 'pre-war' drop-head! At 65 with kidney failure - too many projects - - !!

Very best wishes and thanks,
Kenneth.

PS - I always get my e-mail.