Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   General Volvo and Motoring Discussions (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Fitting own heated seats (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=287069)

SteEnt Oct 2nd, 2018 21:07

Fitting own heated seats

Anyone ever fitted their own heated seats?

I've seen these kits sold on ebay that provide inserts to fit under the upholstery and a switch that you fit into the side of the seat and wire into the fusebox.

Are they a good idea, or a bit dodgy?

fowlerman Oct 3rd, 2018 09:46

Hi
There's a detailed article on the 00-07 V70/Xc70 part of the forum. It's about fitting them to a S60, but may be of some help.

Pete

Paul Wildsmith Oct 3rd, 2018 21:33

I've done it a couple of times, take the seat out of the car and usually just have to cut some wire clips (replace after with cable ties) to allow the upholstery to come away so you can slip the heater pad in. Need to mess about with wires and connectors a bit, but worth it in the end.

AndyJudge Oct 5th, 2018 11:11

Remember to disconnect the battery before removing or doing anything with the seats.

1) It ensures that there's little/no risk of triggering an airbag
2) It prevents the Airbag light illuminating that needs IIRC a VIDA reset.

RobQuads Oct 7th, 2018 12:39

I've done it to a couple of previous cars and its not that tricky. Seats are now designed such that its often not too hard to remove the covers you need to. The more complex electric seats can present a bit more of a challenge.

if your handy on the car DIY state and know how to do the electrics its not too much of a challenging job. More take your time and it should be Ok

SteEnt Oct 14th, 2018 13:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyJudge (Post 2454334)
Remember to disconnect the battery before removing or doing anything with the seats.

1) It ensures that there's little/no risk of triggering an airbag
2) It prevents the Airbag light illuminating that needs IIRC a VIDA reset.

I won't need a radio code if the battery is disconnected for some time will I?
It's a C30 and the stereo is the factory fitted one, so I'm guessing I won't as it's not one that is likely to be stolen or anything.

jor Oct 14th, 2018 13:40

On the 940 anyway a code is needed anytime the battery is disconnected, presumably it will be the same for later cars...

jor

Waynedance Oct 14th, 2018 21:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteEnt (Post 2457300)
I won't need a radio code if the battery is disconnected for some time will I?
It's a C30 and the stereo is the factory fitted one, so I'm guessing I won't as it's not one that is likely to be stolen or anything.

Should be no code needed.

Simmy Oct 21st, 2018 20:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteEnt (Post 2453528)
Anyone ever fitted their own heated seats?

I've seen these kits sold on ebay that provide inserts to fit under the upholstery and a switch that you fit into the side of the seat and wire into the fusebox.

Are they a good idea, or a bit dodgy?

why not try a volvo breakers and do a deal if you can find the right colour /model worth a try then you can wire them yourself:regular_smile:

SteEnt Nov 3rd, 2018 17:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobQuads (Post 2454892)
I've done it to a couple of previous cars and its not that tricky. Seats are now designed such that its often not too hard to remove the covers you need to. The more complex electric seats can present a bit more of a challenge.

if your handy on the car DIY state and know how to do the electrics its not too much of a challenging job. More take your time and it should be Ok

So I’ve fitted the pads to the seat (just one for the time being) put the seat back in and reconnected the battery. Car works fine no issues.

Just wondering about wiring. Got one red and white wire with an inline fuse and a black wire.
I’ve bought a fuse tap kit.
Am I right in thinking that the red is a 12v constant supply and the black is ground?
Or are they positive and negative? In which case I’m stymied as I don’t know where to go from there if that’s the case. So would be good to know so I can figure it out tomorrow as dying light has halted my progress.