Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   AWD Discussion (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=191)
-   -   v70xc awd cross country (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=129250)

mineland Jul 12th, 2011 21:35

v70xc awd cross country

have got a bad vibration and growning which i suspect is coming from prop on the transfer box end. is it possible to remove prop and still have drive on front wheels only to try and find problem
any help would be appreciated
thanks ken

244T Jul 12th, 2011 23:42

Yes

Yes you can do that, most are these days, Prop can be refurbed but not cheap to do

The Hooded Claw Jul 13th, 2011 01:02

As 244T says .. Yeah By all means "Drop the Prop" I had a Range Rover with a Duff Viscious Coupling (Bitch to Replace) so I just Dropped the Rear Prop out & drove it fer well over 20K on just Front Wheel Drive..

8 Prop Bolts & Away yer go ...(But stick the bolts back in thru the "Empty holes") then yer won't lose em when its time to Refit the prop !!

Keith

mineland Jul 16th, 2011 13:13

v70xc awd cross country

took prop off ,yes still had drive on front wheels .found problem transfer box is in need of replacing. now starts the fun trying to find a second hand one.any one got one for a
volvo V70 XC AWD CROSS COUNTRY
MANUAL
W REG 2000
2.4 TURBO
ALL IDEAS WELCOMED
THANKS KEN

440-Turbo Jul 16th, 2011 14:21

The input shaft of the transfer box has a sleeve over it, if that sleeve is already removed and it is that shaft that has worn then you do need a replacement transfer box. If it is the inside of the sleeve that is rounded then a new sleeve is available from Volvo for approx. £60

Finding a good used transfer box is quite difficult.

AcidicDavey Jul 17th, 2011 01:58

My car has developed a clattering sound from the front of the propshaft area.
Knacked joint? I'll be dropping the prop out on Thursday but for the record what size are the bolts?

440-Turbo Jul 17th, 2011 10:24

I think front and rear are 6 x 6mm allen key bolts each

The exhaust support / centre bearing support is (I think) 6 x 10mm bolts

So 18 bolts in total

miles marchant Jul 27th, 2011 15:45

V70 awd '01

Quote:

Originally Posted by mineland (Post 947630)
took prop off ,yes still had drive on front wheels .found problem transfer box is in need of replacing. now starts the fun trying to find a second hand one.any one got one for a
volvo V70 XC AWD CROSS COUNTRY
MANUAL
W REG 2000
2.4 TURBO
ALL IDEAS WELCOMED
THANKS KEN

I have a whole car for sale if you are interested!? Currently advertising in Autotrader - would like it to go to a good home. Price negotiable.
Miles

440-Turbo Jul 27th, 2011 19:23

i am currently looking into options for a permanent solution to some of the awd failures

if anybody has any failed propshafts or transfer boxes i would be interested in buying them

if anybody has any stories of failures or pictures of failures i would love to see them