Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   ABS control unit repair (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=7414)

tomas Mar 10th, 2005 20:10

ABS control unit repair

Has anyone had their ABS control unit repaired by Victor Rocha in the US?

http://home.earthlink.net/~vicrocha/...vo_V70_ABS.htm

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Tomas

jaytee Mar 10th, 2005 20:33

RE: ABS control unit repair

No! but why sent it to the US when you can probably get it done here quicker.

Try http://www.bba-reman.com/

Jim

tomas Mar 10th, 2005 21:13

Thanks for the suggestion; I had look. BBA sell replacement ECUs. What Victor Rocha does is repair the existing unit, at about a fifth of the cost of having Volvo replace it and less than half of the cost of buying a new one from BBA.

He also claims that the particular fault he fixes is so common that it can be regarded as a weakness in the original part, the upshot being that you might have it replaced and find it fails again.

All in all it's a pretty convincing sales pitch. I wanted to hear if anyone this side of the Atlantic had sent their unit to him for repair and if they were satisfied.

I'm in Portugal, by the way.

Tomas

bobcat Mar 10th, 2005 23:39

I have repaired my own ecu, very simple just remove the lid and resolder the solder joints on the plugs. will take about 1-2 start to finish.

kandlwaterhouse Sep 21st, 2006 14:58

ABS control unit repair

Bobcat, I've managed to remove the unit from the car, but can't get the lid off - any suggestions?

stuartvolvo Sep 21st, 2006 16:21

Abs

Now that you have the abs ecu off, you need to take a small junior hacksaw and cut around the small lip that runs about 1/2 inch down from the top, and slowley cut all the way around to take the top off. If you do a search on the forum, you will find a picture which shows what joints need re soldiered. After re-soldiering the joints, you then need to use a water proof silicon and place a small line of waterproof silicon around the edge that you cut off and the place the lid back on. If you have a vice, place the abs unit jently in the vice, just engough to keep the lid shut and let the silicon harden to help seal the unit. After that you could wrap some black electrical tape around the seam just to finish it off, which is what i did, and everything now works fine.

Hope this helps

Stuart

jamie28 Sep 25th, 2006 11:10

Abs Ecu Repair

1 Attachment(s)
ive just repaired mine ,it looked like a dry joint on one of the power supply pins i resolderd them all as illustrated,

Jod T5 Sep 25th, 2006 14:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamie28 (Post 150987)
ive just repaired mine ,it looked like a dry joint on one of the power supply pins i resolderd them all as illustrated,

as a matter of interest jamie what vehicle did your abs unit come off of..., also how did you ensure that you did not damage the diodes and components underneath the circuit board without using a special tool...i would never recomend resoldering any other joints other than the plug to board joints unless you are experienced in this type of thing...excess heat is liable to damage the components...(this is why chip extractors were invented)
the only way to really check the joints is by resistance, not all dry joints are brown...
cheers
jod

DickyB V70R Sep 25th, 2006 18:56

Well, I done mine yesterday arvo. About 3 hours after i posted up that my lights had'nt come up on the dash for a couple of days...They came on..!

Took me about 2 hours from start to finish...Done all the ones in the piccy that Jamie done...Soldering took about 3/4 of an hour. Just put a new little blob on each joint, easy to do. Worst bit was cutting the Lid off the ABS unit.

Put unit back on the car (after the Silicon had dryed) and took for a test drive.
Started the car and the lights stayed...got up to about 20mph while its checking the system...Lights went off and now stay off, only coming on for a couple of seconds when you first turn on the Ignition.

So hopefully all cured. DB.

Jod T5 Sep 26th, 2006 07:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by DickyB V70R (Post 151193)
Well, I done mine yesterday arvo. About 3 hours after i posted up that my lights had'nt come up on the dash for a couple of days...They came on..!

Took me about 2 hours from start to finish...Done all the ones in the piccy that Jamie done...Soldering took about 3/4 of an hour. Just put a new little blob on each joint, easy to do. Worst bit was cutting the Lid off the ABS unit.

Put unit back on the car (after the Silicon had dryed) and took for a test drive.
Started the car and the lights stayed...got up to about 20mph while its checking the system...Lights went off and now stay off, only coming on for a couple of seconds when you first turn on the Ignition.

So hopefully all cured. DB.

well done dick....im proud of you lad....
all the best
jod