Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   200 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   240 General: Breaking a 240 - what is worth saving? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=48580)

146ken Dec 2nd, 2007 11:57

Breaking a 240 - what is worth saving?

My 1991 240SE was written off recently after being rear ended. A local banger racer has agreed to take her away. He wants a working engine and a steering wheel, everything else I can remove.
So far I have stripped out seat belts and some interior trim items I need for my other two 240s. What else is worth saving? Any requests for bits and pieces from you lot?
Standard blue interior and trim, 7-seater conversion kit, sunroof, electric mirrors. Sadly the door pockets are cracked, before any one asks.
I could do with some advice as to how to recognise which bits of the electrics I can strip out without stopping the engine from firing.

loki_the_glt Dec 2nd, 2007 12:03

I'd be interested in the mirrors (assuming they're heated) - if possible, with the loom all the way back to the switches - and possibly the headlamp/indicator/sidelamp units. Please PM me if they're available.

Clifford Pope Dec 2nd, 2007 16:25

Driver's sun visor please, if the internal clicking/locking mechanism is functioning.
Mine has just gone with a snap, so it flops uselessly.

Also black boomerang trim round the rear bumper.

Thanks.

As to what is worth keeping - everything, just in case!

Andrew (UK) Dec 2nd, 2007 19:59

I'm after a clutch pedal if the connection to the master cylinder is not too worn, assuming that it is not counted as part of the working engine! If you were closer to me I'd be after the gearbox as well.

Andrew

gloster_man Dec 3rd, 2007 02:51

Sorry to hear about your car - I hope your seat cushioned you from the impact.

I'd be after the cat (long story - but advised to take it off - now need replacement). As it's going to be raced he'll probably take the cat off to get more power anyway. If it's the same as mine [1992] the socket for the lambda sensor is at the front, and with the pipe out the back of the cat it makes that length of exhaust 34". I'd have the sensor too if possible - and it has 5' or so of cable with it.

Many other bits perhaps - but as Cliff says ... take it all off, you never know what you'll need until it's gone!

Cheers - Dan.

Mike_Brace Dec 3rd, 2007 19:44

From previous posts the heater should be worth saving.

Mike

25 240 Dec 3rd, 2007 20:33

I'm in need of a passenger side rear brake calliper if possible. . . . I'm based in sheffield, where about are you?

davebslater(uk) Dec 3rd, 2007 20:38

can you check the rear axle ratio ?

Glen Morangie Dec 3rd, 2007 23:48

I'd be interested in the brake servo, the clutch M/c and slave (if it has one), possibly wheels/tyres depending on condition and size (can supply at least two 'exchange' wheels if required) the plastic clips for the sun visors, a numberplate light, a door hinge/restraint and possibly a front seat.

Please PM location and availability/prices, as probably only feasible if I collect.

Torslanda Dec 4th, 2007 08:39

Are you keeping the seatbelts from the 7seat conversion? If not I'd be interested in them. Also the rear side windows just pop out with the seal and are always handy to keep just in case (some idiot smashed one of mine last year)