Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   V70: Information v70 r design 2009 ignition starting problems (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=184353)

bigs Jul 11th, 2013 17:30

v70 r design 2009 ignition starting problems

hi can any one help/

I have a v70 2.4 d with push button start

whilst on holiday 4 weeks ago. I started the car as normal. but it just keeps stopping. with the clutch depressed it carries on trying to start until the battery is flat. I called the rac and they diagnosed an ignition fault. they took it to ty lon Volvo on Anglesey. after 2 days they rang to say car was fixed. I was well happy as was £125.00. they said it was the bezel where you put the key fob in the dash causing the fault. with the immobilizer. it worked no problem until today. same problem. I thought it might be the battery as its 4 years old. so I have fitted a new like for like battery. but its still the same. any no what might be the problem or had the same problem. I presume it will end up at the garage that fixed it. but there 50 miles away from me. any help would be well appreciated.

Clan Jul 11th, 2013 18:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigs (Post 1449026)
hi can any one help/

I have a v70 2.4 d with push button start

whilst on holiday 4 weeks ago. I started the car as normal. but it just keeps stopping. with the clutch depressed it carries on trying to start until the battery is flat. I called the rac and they diagnosed an ignition fault. they took it to ty lon Volvo on Anglesey. after 2 days they rang to say car was fixed. I was well happy as was £125.00. they said it was the bezel where you put the key fob in the dash causing the fault. with the immobilizer. it worked no problem until today. same problem. I thought it might be the battery as its 4 years old. so I have fitted a new like for like battery. but its still the same. any no what might be the problem or had the same problem. I presume it will end up at the garage that fixed it. but there 50 miles away from me. any help would be well appreciated.

if you push the start stop button again when auto cranking it should stop cranking surely? ( not that this is NOT a fault mind !

bigs Jul 11th, 2013 19:10

yes it does stop. and you press it again and it keeps on trying to start. if you hold the start button in it runs ok for a while then stops.

Clan Jul 11th, 2013 19:16

ahh so its not a starter switch sticking , It is the engine which will not fire up .
it is usualy a lack of fuel pressure on a diesel which will not start . The first thing i would do is change the fuel filter .
If you listen down the fuel filler can you hear the in tank pump whirring when someone turns the ignition on? it should run for about 20 seconds ...

bigs Jul 13th, 2013 08:56

Changed fuel filter and still the same, had mess with the start button and it started and run. Tried it this morning and its the same. Goes to start then stops,

Clan Jul 13th, 2013 21:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigs (Post 1449813)
Changed fuel filter and still the same, had mess with the start button and it started and run. Tried it this morning and its the same. Goes to start then stops,

you have to turn the ignition on for say 20 seconds then off to run the tank pump to bled the air out of the filter , do this three or four times before actualy trying to start it .. It stopped due the air being pumped from the new filter down to the engine .
Did you listen in the tank for the tank pump running noise?

bigs Jul 15th, 2013 13:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 1450086)
you have to turn the ignition on for say 20 seconds then off to run the tank pump to bled the air out of the filter , do this three or four times before actualy trying to start it .. It stopped due the air being pumped from the new filter down to the engine .
Did you listen in the tank for the tank pump running noise?

done this as you say 3 times. its made no difference at all. the rac seem to think its an ignition issue. there are no faults showing on the dash. which the rac say it should. if I could get it running I will get rid I think. its no good to me as it is. I have borrowed a pick up as were going away this week end. I have had 5 Volvos now. only issues I ever had were the abs pump relay. £15000 16 months ago. its such o lovely car. and the best one I have ever had until this problem.

bigs Aug 13th, 2013 16:47

holidays over, got car running eventually, but its back to not starting again. it must be clutch related. as when you depress the clutch to start when its playing and release it stops but if you keep starting whilst holding the start button in for about 10 minutes it eventually starts and its ok for the next 8 to 10 starts then its back to not starting. has any one got any ideas. its not fuel pump as had this replaced just in case.

bigs Sep 4th, 2013 16:38

no one got any ideas then.

bigs Sep 27th, 2013 17:07

to all you clever ones lol. it turned out to be a clutch sensor. nothing to do with the diesel pump. diesel filter which I had replaced along with new battery. new starter motor ect ect.

hope if any one else gets a sim problem this might help