Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   200 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Removal of Body Mould? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=296751)

renno Jul 18th, 2019 17:31

Removal of Body Mould?

4 Attachment(s)
Afternoon All,
I'm looking for advice on removal of what I think is black, baked on mould. The body work needs some attention. It's an '88 240, recently strapped on some 940 wheels.
Best,
R

loki_the_glt Jul 18th, 2019 18:31

I spoke to one of the Cheshire members whose cars are ALWAYS immaculate about this.

His suggestion was to use a very hot water (and, optionally, car shampoo mix) and apply it with a soft tooth-brush to the rain-gutters/badges etc. A piece of thin styrene will work on the gutters if the tooth-brush won't fit.

It might take two or three goes to eliminate the algae, so don't despair if it doesn't seem to be working initially.

renno Jul 18th, 2019 18:59

Much appreciated. I'll give this a go. I assumed it is just mould / algae...

dingov70 Jul 20th, 2019 19:54

I use traffic film remover mixed with hot water applied using a spray bottle . Do it on a cloudy / cool day as the liquid will dry before it works & work in using a soft paint brush .

Wash off using LOTS of clean water , repeat if necessary

nu11eaf Jul 26th, 2019 21:55

You could try a caravan mould removal spray

psl Jul 26th, 2019 22:31

"elbow grease" as found in many retail outlets. Cost £1 per bottle. Spray on and with a soft bristle toothbrush clean off, Wash off with your choice of car shampoo

Stephen Edwin Jul 27th, 2019 08:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by psl (Post 2539624)
"elbow grease" as found in many retail outlets. Cost £1 per bottle. Spray on and with a soft bristle toothbrush clean off, Wash off with your choice of car shampoo

I've not heard that expression since about 1955.

I do still use the expression but my bottle of the product is almost entirely empty now.

Is a refill available on prescription? ;)

paul_a_uk Aug 19th, 2019 07:14

Steam Cleaner

HI,

I have been cleaning up my father in-laws 1988 Volvo 245 GLT and as it hadn't been driven normally for 3 or 4 years. The roof gutter and just about every surface where water or muck can gather had dark mould. He had problems with his legs and its only if myself or my wife take it out the poor thing gets a run.

Car has had a good jet wash followed by hand scrub/wash and I finally found a portable hand steamer on the mouldy parts. I grabbed it in Aldi when on offer but this was the only thing that got it really clean. The black muck just dissolved and washed away amazing thing.

Another quick wash n dry before using a buffer with Autoglym ultra deep polish the car looked like new.

The steam cleaner was quite slow work but seemed to remove the most and so far the mould hasn't come back at all.