Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 Wants (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=168)
-   -   c70 service light re set (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=287027)

Llanrads Oct 1st, 2018 20:43

c70 service light re set

Despite following procedures on here/You Tube and my local garage's new electronic reader i am unable re set the service light on my c70 d5 2007 vintage.
Is this a common problem?

Sysyphus Oct 2nd, 2018 01:05

The "procedure" is for resetting the "maintenance" reminder message which is a simple "alarm" based on mileage/time since last reset

If you have a service light on that is most likely indicating there is an issue which requires some attention. You will have to read the codes to determine the issue is, fix it, and then reset the warning if it doesn't go out by itself.

Although some generic OBD readers can grab some Volvo codes, you'll get definitive results with a VIDA/DICE setup.

FunkyMelon Oct 2nd, 2018 08:08

Is it just the regular service light or a different one?

If it's a normal routine service light you put the key in ignition 0, hold the trip in, while holding the trip, turn key to position 2 and wait for around 5 seconds, it should blink then disappear.

If you're isn't going it sounds like it's a different service light and one that needs your attention.

Llanrads Oct 2nd, 2018 20:58

It says engine system service required...

FunkyMelon Oct 2nd, 2018 21:03

That's something different.....

I'd he careful driving it till you get the codes read. Do you have the engine light on too?

Llanrads Oct 2nd, 2018 21:22

No light only the orange light that says message.When i press the btton on lh stalk it goes off until i scroll back to messages.
When it was recently serviced at my local garage there was no service reminder on. This came on about 4 weeks later.
When i took it back his machine that's like a laptop described the procedure as you state above but it still wont go out.

Yardie Oct 2nd, 2018 23:54

You will need to get the error codes read to find out what the actual issue is. ‘Engine System Service Required’ is just a catch all warning that there is an underlying issue, so isn’t very helpful on its own.

I’ve had this twice on my V50 D5. Both times was caused by the garage putting too much oil in when they serviced the car. They ignored my request and also the sticker under the bonnet to only fill 3/4 up the dip stick.

I got them to remove some oil and reset the codes and all is well.

Llanrads Oct 3rd, 2018 20:34

Hi Yardie
that's a good shout as i had the same issue with my xc60 , i should have thought of that. Will get it checked and let you know.

Cheers
Stef

LizardOfBodom Oct 4th, 2018 09:58

Does that message is usually not followed up with alternator failure or indicates the issue with charging? I think I have heard of this before, someone correct me if Im wrong?

Llanrads Nov 26th, 2018 21:16

Still no solution to this issue. Code reader still says too much oil after dropping it out and re filling the oil and leaving it just above minimum.
Now i suspect oil level sensor switch on sump