Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   T5 only 0.3 bar boost and poor throttle response (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=291154)

Welton Jan 28th, 2019 09:23

T5 only 0.3 bar boost and poor throttle response

My lovely T5 has suddenly become lazy and I can't figure out why.

In July 2017 I changed the Turbo Control Valve (TCV) just for maintenance sake and replaced it for an OE Pierburg unit so that should be ok, the Vacuum lines all 'look' ok no real signs of chafing/splits. I've changed the little 'one way' breather valve on the turbo a few months ago. I've changed the Fuel Pressure Sensor couple of years ago. Air filter is good, loads of oil changes with top-spec stuff.

Throttle is kind of 'dead' and the car even sounds a bit quiet, no check engine light and only achieving 0.3 bar on my Torque Pro app.

One definite change is that I used to be able to hear the Compressor Bypass Valve (l think this is Volvo's equivalent of a Dump Valve?) sort of 'chatter' when maneuvering at low speeds and a 'whishhhh' sound between fast gear changes, this sound has gone so I'm wondering if the Turbo is not generating full boost because the bypass/wastegate is partially open.

Any suggestions please I'm sort of stumped and I hate the car feeling like this, I'm almost praying for the engine light to come on to give some clues.

FunkyMelon Jan 28th, 2019 10:35

Did this happen directly after changing something? I expect you have a boost leak somewhere....

They can be a real pain to find, could even be a split that is only obvious once you reach a certain level of boost before it opens up.

If you can't find one by eye take it to a garage that can do a smoke test on it, that'll point to the leak pretty quickly :)

Welton Jan 28th, 2019 10:42

Thanks Funky, no nothing has been changed at all, I can't hear any leaks, there's no oil leaks from the Intercooler or piping but yes I did think about a smoke test, luckily I have a good garage I use right next door at work.

Changed the oil on Saturday so that gave me a good view of all the hoses and pipes. I even gave the wastegate actuator rod a wiggle and it felt nice and springy.

This might sound silly but it's almost like the exhaust is blocked and like I have a different fuel map on the car although if boost is down by 50% I guess it's never going to be right. Having driven this car every day for 10 years I'm sensitive to even the smallest changes.

LizardOfBodom Jan 28th, 2019 11:38

Thats a bummer, looking for boost leak is PITA, went trough it myself :/
If you have a chance to do smoke test - go for it, I would do it first thing but couldnt find garage with that equipment.
Regardless, few ideas from me:
- do you have vida? there is some parameters you can show on screen and drive when recording them, I usually check TCV duty cycle and boost with some other parameters to check it that operates correctly. Basically there is "commanded boost" vs actual boost ratio and it kinda shows you if the car wants to boost fully but you have physical leak or it just simply doesnt allow boost to build up. If for example your IC is clogged and intake temp is dangerously high, ECU will throttle the boost to prevent damaging engine etc.
- I had a case of damaged valves on vacuum lines - the one-way valve and venturi valve were not working correctly, had a post about it few months ago. It shouldnt affect boost as much as in your case, but worth checking
- wastegate may not close properly (spring issue, seized or whatnot) and that would also explain the odd noises you hear.
not sure what else to recommend, would be really good to pinpoint the issue to either electronical or pure mechanical...

Welton Jan 28th, 2019 12:52

Thanks Lizard, I know it's going to be a PITA, I can't find much in the way of common faults with the turbo itself (including its built in bypass/blow off) I can hear the turbo spinning and it sounds really sweet as always but it won't generate boost.

Going to give the car to my garage next door at work and he can keep it for a bit, he's well respected with diagnostics and will keep delving into things he just needs the time to do it. I don't know if he can read Volvo/VIDA though.

I bet if I took it to Volvo they'd say I need a new Turbo! urgh....

T5R92011 Jan 28th, 2019 13:03

Worth putting the old TCV back on as a test if you still have it?

LizardOfBodom Jan 28th, 2019 13:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welton (Post 2489547)
Thanks Lizard, I know it's going to be a PITA, I can't find much in the way of common faults with the turbo itself (including its built in bypass/blow off) I can hear the turbo spinning and it sounds really sweet as always but it won't generate boost.

Going to give the car to my garage next door at work and he can keep it for a bit, he's well respected with diagnostics and will keep delving into things he just needs the time to do it. I don't know if he can read Volvo/VIDA though.

I bet if I took it to Volvo they'd say I need a new Turbo! urgh....

Nah, to my knowledge - turbo either works or doesnt, if it was seized or damaged you wouldnt get any boost. If your boost is less than it should be its usually a actual boost leak (hose/valve etc) or you have electronical problem with car throttling turbo trough TCV command for some another reason.
I take it you dont have vida, so generic reader wont give you tcv duty cycle, but torque may give you intake temp info, it may give you some extra info for troubleshooting.

Welton Jan 28th, 2019 13:49

T5R92011 - I have got the old TCV still and nearly swapped it on Saturday but thought "why would the new unit be faulty" and they are a royal PITA to change. I'll give it a go though thanks.

Lizard - thanks, no I don't have VIDA but thinking about getting something sorted now (not had any issues needing it until now) - typical!

FunkyMelon Jan 28th, 2019 14:05

Have you noticed any hissing or additional noise when the engine is running? A small crack in the exhaust manifold or any bolts that have come loose will be enough to reduce the flow into the turbo and give poor performance.

Welton Jan 28th, 2019 17:40

No noises like that no, I listen out for the 'leaky manifold' because although lots of people have reported it here I've never had it with mine. The noise on cold start is supposed to be a kinda 'screech' ??

You have a good point though and it's always possible there's a leak there. I guess if the inlet tract was smoke tested it is feasible for smoke to exit the exhaust manifold via the head so that might be worth looking out for.