Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   Alarm system Service Required - message? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=148127)

jimbg Mar 15th, 2012 15:43

Alarm system Service Required - message?

1 Attachment(s)
I decided to load some destinations into the Sat Nav and turned it on by inserting the key and pressing Start without touching the brake pedal

This worked fine, but a message appeared that I had not seen before and does not appear during the normal start procedure.

It was cleared by the Volvo dealer but has come straight back!

Any ideas, anyone?

Cheers
Jimbg

mfresh Mar 15th, 2012 16:05

You are describing the exact symptoms that both I and several other forum members have experienced.

It is usually caused by a faulty mass movement sensor in the alarm system, and it will need replacing. Volvo have had a lot of problems with faulty ones I gather from my dealer, and mine was replaced by one which also failed within a very short period of time. My third one seems OK touch wood.

I suggest you get your dealer to replace it and that will almost certainly fix the problem - unless it is some strange and unusual different fault!

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimbg (Post 1117347)
I decided to load some destinations into the Sat Nav and turned it on by inserting the key and pressing Start without touching the brake pedal

This worked fine, but a message appeared that I had not seen before and does not appear during the normal start procedure.

It was cleared by the Volvo dealer but has come straight back!

Any ideas, anyone?

Cheers
Jimbg

jimbg Mar 15th, 2012 16:28

mfresh,

Can I ask did you have any other symptoms and did it cause any problems until it was fixed?

Not sure if I need to get it fixed before I go off in the car to France for a few weeks.

I should have used the search function before posting, now see what this problem is all about!

mfresh Mar 15th, 2012 19:18

Funnily enough mine failed when I was on holiday in France. I didn't get it fixed until I got back to England about a week later and I didn't notice any side effect or other problems at all - although I assume the alarm wasn't working properly during that time.

Still, I'm no expert on these matters: if you need advice ask someone who knows what they are talking about. That's my advice!

XC60MY12 Mar 15th, 2012 20:27

I had this recurring message about a month after buying the car new last September. In all other respects the alarm seemed to be working correctly so, at the dealer's suggestion, I left it until the 3 month PSI. They replaced the mass sensor but the message came back after a few days. They then replaced the movement sensor and I have not seen the problem since.

jimbg Mar 15th, 2012 21:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by XC60Fan (Post 1117576)
I had this recurring message about a month after buying the car new last September. In all other respects the alarm seemed to be working correctly so, at the dealer's suggestion, I left it until the 3 month PSI. They replaced the mass sensor but the message came back after a few days. They then replaced the movement sensor and I have not seen the problem since.

Interesting, my car was new in September.

DEFRO Mar 15th, 2012 22:55

Same problem here but mine is a June car so it is not a september build issue.

jimbg Mar 16th, 2012 09:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by DEFRO (Post 1117720)
Same problem here but mine is a June car so it is not a september build issue.

Indeed, I am sure that it was over a period of time. The Volvo dealer certainly seemed to be aware of the problem.

jimbg Mar 22nd, 2012 18:06

Well I had the sensors replaced today...........and the message is still there!!

The dealer has been told by Volvo that there is a new modified sensor that will be available in Q2.
There was some thought that because I have a panoramic roof this was linked to the problem as the movement sensor is located in different place?

Anyway I have to wait now until it is a available.

XC60MY12 Mar 22nd, 2012 19:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimbg (Post 1122947)
Well I had the sensors replaced today...........and the message is still there!!

The dealer has been told by Volvo that there is a new modified sensor that will be available in Q2.
There was some thought that because I have a panoramic roof this was linked to the problem as the movement sensor is located in different place?

Anyway I have to wait now until it is a available.

I have the sun roof too. The sensor is located immediately below the cup-holders in the storage compartment between the front seats. For this reason nothing metal should be put there, including coins.