Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Custom Mobile Car dock! (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=158204)

BenB Jul 20th, 2012 11:10

Custom Mobile Car dock!

I a desk dock to fit my v50, got fed up with trying to squeeze the phone into a rubbish looking universal mount, then connecting a trailing cable. So I hid the cables hard-wired behind the dash, and dremel'd the dock to shape, bent it with a hot air-gun, clamping it in a vice. Getting the connector to stay in place took a hot glue gun. (leaving a cavity underneath means I can still reach my headlight switch, not that i use it, I leave it set to on 100% of the time!)
I think now I've got a working prototype I'll buy another and redo it a bit neater. (The dock is only about £4 from china!) as the plastic has reacted a bit to the heat!
The dock is simply squeezed into the gap in the dash trim, it holds fine.
The phone jiggles a bit and it isn't angled towards the driver quite right, but it's fine, and certainly easier than having to fiddle the phone and charger in every time I get in the car!
http://www.lavenham-photographic.co.uk/ben/4x-car-2.jpg
http://www.lavenham-photographic.co.uk/ben/4x-car-1.jpg

The phone is an LG optimus 4x HD - I waiting excitedly for the Galaxy s III to be released, but when it came out it was an anticlimax - the design isn't to my taste, (I actually prefered the Galaxy sII's squarer shape) so I ordered the LG from amazon.de as it isn't out here yet! It's got the same Tegra 3 quad-core processor and 1280x720 IPS screen as the HTC One X - Anyway, I digress, this isn't a phone forum!!

jaygee Jul 20th, 2012 11:45

SO when are you free to do mine ;-)

Daim Jul 20th, 2012 15:15

The One X was on my buying list a few weeks ago. I decided against it, as it isn't as much HTC as HTCs used to be. The screen has some good opticals BUT it isn't as smooth running as it could be. The thing feels cheap and that, what used to be HTC's advantage over the I-Phone (expandable storage space via card, removeable battery, reliability) have been thrown overboard :(

I in the end took an older Samsung Galaxy Note aka my mobile telephone box. Haven't regreted it as my friend bought a One X. Or should I say he bought one but is on his 3rd as the other two didn't work right.

mikealder Jul 20th, 2012 15:43

Neat and cheap way to create a phone holder, I only use Brodit these days but they do cost a few quid.

My daughter chose a HTC One V last Sunday as the contract was up for renewal, at least that one can accept the MicroSD card, screen isn't quite as large as the X and the camera is only 5M but the phone seems fine - It also came bundled with a free pair of DR Dre Solo headphones which sound great - Mike

BenB Jul 20th, 2012 15:46

My Brodit was terrible - it wouldn't stay put, the clasp around one side of the grille (same position as this) kept popping off, eventually it snapped off. That got me thinking 'actually it doesn't to be held as tightly as a brodit holds it'!

LJD Jul 21st, 2012 12:38

Thats going to end in tears ......
a item like that needs to be secured. In a impact , that LG will turn into a weapon

nbuuifx Jul 21st, 2012 21:27

I had a similar mount for a htc desire HD, it knackered the phone very quickly. Basically it wore the USB port out from moving around on the connector.

Volvorforlife Jul 26th, 2012 09:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daim (Post 1210841)
The One X was on my buying list a few weeks ago. I decided against it, as it isn't as much HTC as HTCs used to be. The screen has some good opticals BUT it isn't as smooth running as it could be. The thing feels cheap and that, what used to be HTC's advantage over the I-Phone (expandable storage space via card, removeable battery, reliability) have been thrown overboard :(

I in the end took an older Samsung Galaxy Note aka my mobile telephone box. Haven't regreted it as my friend bought a One X. Or should I say he bought one but is on his 3rd as the other two didn't work right.

How is the battery life on the note? I tried one a month or so back and it was way worse then the iphone 4 The upgrade to ICS helped a bit. In the end I went back to apple and got an ip4s because as nice as the phone was to look at it was just too big and I couldn't get along with it. Can't beat a 4s with jailbreak.

Btw I have a Samsung car holder for it if you want it (just pay postage)

To the op, I agree with above post that says it will bugger up the usb on the phone after a while. I have used brodit stuff before and never had a problem with their stuff. I only use a TomTom iphone kit now as I don't use a bumper on my phone

mikealder Jul 26th, 2012 09:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Volvorforlife (Post 1214269)
I only use a TomTom iphone kit now as I don't use a bumper on my phone

Brodit make a powered holder for an iPhone in a bumper case as I have such a mount fitted in the wifes V40, quite a neat way to adjust the docking connector so the iPhone in it's case simply drops in to the mount everytime, great bit of kit - Mike

BenB Jul 26th, 2012 09:31

Brodit don't make a bracket for the LG, it's not even out in this country yet. I'll have to wait and see i f they make one!
In the mean time may modify a Brodit for a Galaxy sII, as this phone is only 2mm wider despite having a 4.7in screen!