Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   300/66 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Volvo 340DL Automatic Transmission problem (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=271808)

mappsi30 Aug 20th, 2017 00:06

Volvo 340DL Automatic Transmission problem

Hello. Today while driving my car (Volvo 340DL Automatic) the engine shut off. This happened 2 minutes after starting up the car (often happens, so it's a common problem for me, probably since the engine is still a bit cold).
When I tried to start up the car again, I couldn't put it from neutral to drive, or reverse. When I tried to, it just started making that loud scratching noise. Does anyone have a clue what it might could be?

PS: sorry for my bad vocabulary, I'm Norwegian.

john.wigley Aug 20th, 2017 08:35

Nothing wrong with your English, 'mappsi30'!

It's a long time since I had any dealings with the 3 Series cars, but your problem is almost certainly associated with the drive belt(s). One or both could possibly be broken, or more likely - from the 'scratching sound' - out of adjustment. Contamination with oil is also a possibility, but that and going out of adjustment are more usually gradual failures, whereas breakage will result in a sudden one.

Alternatively, the selector rod may have become disconnected or there may be a fault with the selector mechanism.

I've just had a quick look in my Haynes workshop manual for you and this pretty much confirms the above. Let's hope it is just a simple fix! :thumbs_up:

Regards, John.

Clan Aug 20th, 2017 09:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by mappsi30 (Post 2310379)
Hello. Today while driving my car (Volvo 340DL Automatic) the engine shut off. This happened 2 minutes after starting up the car (often happens, so it's a common problem for me, probably since the engine is still a bit cold).
When I tried to start up the car again, I couldn't put it from neutral to drive, or reverse. When I tried to, it just started making that loud scratching noise. Does anyone have a clue what it might could be?

PS: sorry for my bad vocabulary, I'm Norwegian.

It sounds like the clutch disengage device is not working , so the propshaft still turning when you try and engage the gears and you get a harsh gear grating noise .
Try letting it warm up , keep the engine speed as low as possible then try engaging D ...

classicswede Sep 6th, 2017 17:11

I have the same problem with my vario but if you change with the revs under 1000rpm it is OK

Clan Sep 6th, 2017 18:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by classicswede (Post 2315654)
I have the same problem with my vario but if you change with the revs under 1000rpm it is OK

Have you looked to see what is wrong with the clutch disengage device ?
I usually found it was a wire broken on the gear lever microswitch ...

classicswede Sep 6th, 2017 20:32

Its the vacuum servo, I have another to go on but not gt around to doing it yet

mappsi30 Sep 25th, 2017 23:25

Where is the vacuum servo located? Is it connnected to the flywheel housing or the drive pulleys?

classicswede Sep 25th, 2017 23:56

flywheel housing