Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S40 / V40 '96-'04 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Cruise control wiring (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=303525)

George Holmer Feb 12th, 2020 19:54

Cruise control wiring

I have a LHD Belgian spec 2002 V40 with the B4184S3 engine and the M5P Renault gearbox. My car has ECC but no other options. I have added leather seats and electric windows all round but I am now trying to fit cruise control and heated seats. I was told that as these are not pre-wired in my car, I need the whole engine and dash loom. My question is, would one from a V40 T4 fit my non-turbo car?

P156KWJ Feb 12th, 2020 23:17

Really sorry I can't help with the parts themselves or your question but what I do want to say is you deserve an award for patience and determination!

George Holmer Feb 13th, 2020 08:12

Thanks. It is my little leisure hobby to get away from work and teenage kids. I quite enjoy it. I enjoy it less when the starter motor goes but I sorted that without too much pain and money and then that gives a sense of satisfaction too. I also have a fully-loaded Hyundai Ioniq hybrid. Just fill up and drive but it is not the same thing, really.

loelly Feb 13th, 2020 11:45

I also drive a 2002 19td witch had no options at the start .
I added leather seats where i ad heating (non original only less then 20€) and cruise control.
I found the wires for the heating under the chair but after adding the dash switch I had to go to a dealer (witch I did not becouse to expensive) to use the seat heating.
The cruise control should only need 4 wires but also a visit at the dealer to add in the cpu.
I must say you have a lot of patience to do all that work.

George Holmer Feb 13th, 2020 12:21

Mine is not pre-wired, hence the need for rewiring. And I have not done it yet... IF I find a suitable loom, I'll do it in the summer.

gatos Feb 14th, 2020 00:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by loelly (Post 2599660)
I also drive a 2002 19td witch had no options at the start .
I added leather seats where i ad heating (non original only less then 20€) and cruise control.
I found the wires for the heating under the chair but after adding the dash switch I had to go to a dealer (witch I did not becouse to expensive) to use the seat heating.
The cruise control should only need 4 wires but also a visit at the dealer to add in the cpu.
I must say you have a lot of patience to do all that work.

The CC on the 1.9D is completely different than the other petrol models. The CC is actually controlled by the car ECU and that is why Volvo needs to enable it for a pricey price. Also the CC on the 1.9D is controlled electronically by the main ECU.
On the other petrol models, except for the mitsubishi 1.8i, there is a separate CC module that controls the CC and the whole CC system works mechanically and with vacuum air

gatos Feb 14th, 2020 00:44

George Holmer, to answer your question, no, you can't just swap your wiring loom with a T4 one, as they are quite different. Correct me if I am wrong, but I think you contacted a seller on eBay asking the same question...😁. Not only would you need the engine bay wiring loom, but also the loom under the dashboard

Best way to do it, which is much much easier to fit, is to separate the wiring for the CC from any petrol model and just fit it on your car. There are only 3 wires for the CC that go through the engine bay loom, so if you can those, then you can easily run them from the CC ECU which is located behind the stereo, then take the wires to the drivers foot well and take them out through the rubber grommet and to the CC vacuum pump on the engine bay bulkhead behind the fusebox. Same thing for the heated seats wiring. You can run then from the same place and straight to the fusebox. I helped a couple of people to retrofit the wiring and it was the easiest and fastest and best way to do it and it worked every time

George Holmer Feb 15th, 2020 15:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by gatos (Post 2599926)

Best way to do it, which is much much easier to fit, is to separate the wiring for the CC from any petrol model and just fit it on your car.

Yes, that makes sense. I'll do that. Is it possible to do the heated seats in the same way and do they need to be "switched on" by the dealer?