Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   140/164 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   B30 engine value (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=308098)

natmargetts Jul 20th, 2020 21:57

B30 engine value

Evening all- I have been eyeing up a B30 engine for a while now for a future project as a full build.

I have recently found one that has been sat for 5 years (still turns freely)

The seller has offered it up for £150, does this seem like a fair price to you all?

Kind regards,

Nat

Burdekin Jul 20th, 2020 22:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by natmargetts (Post 2649039)
Evening all- I have been eyeing up a B30 engine for a while now for a future project as a full build.

The seller has offered it up for £150, does this seem like a fair price to you all?

Kind regards,

Nat

Yes I think so. Have you looked at the cost of overhauling a B30?

Triple-S Jul 20th, 2020 22:33

Nat - if its been stored OK thats not a bad price. However a friend with a 164 bought my spare (still in a scrap 164) as his head gasket was holed and it turned out to be rusted out inside - rings stuck to bores etc.

However, when we ruined a B18 engine (I was only the passenger - honest!) it was cheaper to buy another s/h engine than buy new parts and get the original rebored. I have a marine B30 somewhere in my place but don't know if it rotates - will check when next there.

P

classicswede Jul 20th, 2020 22:48

£150 is a good price for a core to rebuild.

They are expensive to rebuild but at least the parts are available

natmargetts Jul 20th, 2020 23:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burdekin (Post 2649041)
Yes I think so. Have you looked at the cost of overhauling a B30?

No I haven't yet, is it bad// do you have a rough figure from experience?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Triple-S (Post 2649047)
Nat - if its been stored OK thats not a bad price. However a friend with a 164 bought my spare (still in a scrap 164) as his head gasket was holed and it turned out to be rusted out inside - rings stuck to bores etc.

However, when we ruined a B18 engine (I was only the passenger - honest!) it was cheaper to buy another s/h engine than buy new parts and get the original rebored. I have a marine B30 somewhere in my place but don't know if it rotates - will check when next there.

P

Is there a difference between a marine B30 and a road B30? May be interested in yours if it isn't too bad (Unsure if its freshwater or sal****er origin)

Derek UK Jul 21st, 2020 00:09

Fine but you are taking a chance if it is a bare engine that has been stored without having the ports taped off or blocked. The more ancillaries the better as far as value goes as adding those will cost more than the engine.
What is your project, '27 Model T Turtle Deck Roadster? :cool:

Burdekin Jul 21st, 2020 07:00

If you have to do the bottom end with new pistons etc, including machine it will cost upwards of £2k even if you strip and build the engine. Just the top end with a cam and timing gear change £500ish, if you get the head reconditioned add another £500.

classicswede Jul 21st, 2020 17:11

Price is the same as rebuilding a B20 but with half as many extra pistons, valves etc