Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   XC70 D5 Gearbox Fluid Change (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=313461)

XCR Jan 19th, 2021 15:15

XC70 D5 Gearbox Fluid Change

Your recommendations for trusted garages in the North East please guys.

Bashy Jan 19th, 2021 23:30

FYI, you can save yourself about £100 doing it yourself, down here, my local indy wanted £150 to double flush with trans fluid.

I paid £40 for 20L Mannol off of eBay, plus the gaskets from Volvo oh and ya need a long funnel

S60D5-185 Jan 20th, 2021 11:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by XCR (Post 2700268)

Little bit of a trek up the A19 for you, but for the last 10 years I have used Autofix at Silver Link, just through the Tyne Tunnel.

Absolutely brilliant to deal with, very knowledgeable and most of all, not there to rip anyone off.

That said, it is not hard to do it yourself and Smith &Allan at Darlington do 20 ltrs of fluid for about £70

https://autofixnortheastltd.co.uk/

XC90Mk1 Jan 20th, 2021 14:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by XCR (Post 2700268)

I did it myself if you are interested? I am happy to go over how you do it if you wish, it’s not very hard if you are mechanically minded (remove the engine under shield, and air box. Open some bolts and drain/top up.

You will do it far far better than a garage will in my opinion and to a much higher standard.

Failing that it’s not a difficult operation so any decent transmission place should be able to do it.

XCR Jan 20th, 2021 16:57

Thanks very much for the replies gents,

I've watched a few how-to videos and while I enjoy saving money I'd currently be working in the street ......in the pi55ing rain.....so its off to a good indy I think...
I've rung a few places and I'm not exactly overfilled with confidence but I'm currently waiting on a call back from Autofix - thanks for that.
I don't mind the drive at all, the thing is they aren't offering 'while you wait' appointments...due to covid.
I suppose I could drop off the car and walk round an industrial estate for eight hours....in the pi55ing rain....that sounds like a tempting day out !

All suggestions welcome.

The car is otherwise superb, just a lazy change up the box.

XC90Mk1 Jan 20th, 2021 19:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by XCR (Post 2700695)
Thanks very much for the replies gents,

I've watched a few how-to videos and while I enjoy saving money I'd currently be working in the street ......in the pi55ing rain.....so its off to a good indy I think...
I've rung a few places and I'm not exactly overfilled with confidence but I'm currently waiting on a call back from Autofix - thanks for that.
I don't mind the drive at all, the thing is they aren't offering 'while you wait' appointments...due to covid.
I suppose I could drop off the car and walk round an industrial estate for eight hours....in the pi55ing rain....that sounds like a tempting day out !

All suggestions welcome.

The car is otherwise superb, just a lazy change up the box.

In that case I would probably be tempted to buy the fluid myself and supply to them, or to double check they use the correct spec as standard ATF is not good for it.

Bomster Jan 20th, 2021 21:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bashy (Post 2700467)
I paid £40 for 20L Mannol off of eBay

Assume that isn't AW-1? Best price I can find for 20L of that is more like £100.

XCR Jan 20th, 2021 22:17

I'm not about to buy cheap fluid, or give the impression that I don't trust the garage to not swindle me, but short of looking over their shoulder (verboten)...I'm not sure what to do.

The car had been standing for some time and drove really sluggishly on the drive home, but now it rarely misbehaves. In fact, going out just now the up changes are all occurring at around 2200 RPM and the car feels livelier the more I drive it.

XC90Mk1 Jan 20th, 2021 22:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by XCR (Post 2700804)
I'm not about to buy cheap fluid, or give the impression that I don't trust the garage to not swindle me, but short of looking over their shoulder (verboten)...I'm not sure what to do.

The car had been standing for some time and drove really sluggishly on the drive home, but now it rarely misbehaves. In fact, going out just now the up changes are all occurring at around 2200 RPM and the car feels livelier the more I drive it.

You will be absolutely fine, it’s a doddle. Me personally I would phone up Volvo first to confirm it takes JWS-3309 for example (don’t know what year it is).

Then just say to the garage can you change it with JWS-3309. I think anywhere would do it without incidence.

Bashy Jan 20th, 2021 22:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bomster (Post 2700788)
Assume that isn't AW-1? Best price I can find for 20L of that is more like £100.

Yeah my bad, should have said 10L, it's just under £40