Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S40 / V40 '96-'04 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   S40 2.0ltr turbo Lazy starting (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=54235)

dacman Feb 25th, 2008 20:19

S40 2.0ltr turbo Lazy starting

Hi everyone.
Ok my dad has a 1999 S40 2.0t. When the car is cold and you try to start it the engine turns over but doesnt fire unless you blip the throttle, then it lazily starts. When you try to start it from warm you still have to blip the throttle and then it will fire up fine. The car runs great with no hesitation or missing from the engine. Does anyone know a possible course of this?

thanks
dac

thebigv Feb 25th, 2008 22:39

Could be ignition or fuel, but have a quick check of the battery. Make sure the water level is above the lead plates. Just unscrew the plastic caps on top of the battery, make sure you tighten them good tho, as dont forget it turns the water to acid. Could be lacking a little charge. If so fill up above the plates. Distilled water is needed, although if its only slight, tap water will do, if its not hard water.

dacman Feb 26th, 2008 20:40

Thanks for the respose, i dont think its the battery as it had a new one in december. Suppose its best to get it to the garage to pull off any fault codes.
BTW its an auto, incase it would make a difference.

Thanks again
dac

knobby Feb 27th, 2008 00:37

Hi there I'm having similar probs.
Took it to my local independent and they reckon its the starter motor playin up.
Other than this the car runs fine, and usually starts with no probs....

Weird
Most of the time it fires up no problems atall, just once or twice it wont start...odd, but hasnt done it for ages now...

Hope this helps

Matthew

jimboynugget Feb 29th, 2008 15:16

Hi. I've also had the same symptoms on my 1997 V40 T4. I've been trying to fix it myself as a project. New spark plugs and a air filter helped a bit, but now it's back to poor starting. I've also tried cleaning the MAF and adding fuel injector cleaner, but neither has helped much.

I've recently starting getting a "P0141 O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction" as well, but I've seen some evidence that this could be caused by fuelling issues rather than the sensor itself. My best guess at the moment is a faulty fuel pressure regulator.

The Ford Scorpio community has some very good pages on diagnosing faults: http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/ho2smonitor.htm

jimathan Feb 29th, 2008 15:32

Hi, none of you state your mileage or say whether or not you have ever had the injectors serviced
Jim

riwax Feb 29th, 2008 18:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimboynugget (Post 377791)
My best guess at the moment is a faulty fuel pressure regulator.

yes, also my opinion, cud also be a problem in one of those 2 ignition coil packs :)

jimboynugget Mar 2nd, 2008 23:16

I changed the fuel filter today and that has helped a bit, but still hasn't fixed it. It's certainly fuelling better as there was huge amounts of crap that came out of the dirty side of the old filter, and runs much more smoothly at higher revs.

I've still got the P0141 code though. I've had a look at the outputs of both lambda sensors and the one with the fault appears be not switching properly. So that's next on the list of things to try.

As for mileage and injector servicing... it's tricky... the car had a reconditioned engine put in shortly before I bought it, so the car's done 107k, but I've no idea about the engine itself.

jimathan Mar 2nd, 2008 23:25

If the filter was that dirty, it’s a fair bet that the filters in the injectors are on the edge of blocking. This normally manifests its self at high revs and hard acceleration. New engine or not; its clear the fuel filter wasn’t changed.
jim

dacman Mar 3rd, 2008 19:58

Hello again,
Have checked up with the service history and its full volvo, the car has only done 72000miles. Had a drive in it and couldnt fault it. Just when you turn the key it wants to fire up but its as if it cannot till u squeeze the throttle.

thanks
dac