Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   unbelievably loud fan noise (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=273143)

Ctpurley Sep 24th, 2017 23:25

unbelievably loud fan noise

Hi,

Has anyone experienced an extremely noisey fan on their XC90 after stopping the engine? I'm talking far louder then the engine itself. It went on for at least a minute before shutting off. The noise was loud enough to have neighbours looking out of the window.

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks

Das boot Sep 24th, 2017 23:27

Something fouling the blades ?

Ctpurley Sep 24th, 2017 23:29

No I don't believe so. The noise only came on the moment I stopped the engine. It's loud enough that you'd hear it whilst driving

It happened once before roughly 6-7 months ago but not since

SwissXC90 Sep 25th, 2017 04:48

Radiator electric cooling fan?
They run on after motor shutdown to continue cooling the motor

Ctpurley Sep 25th, 2017 07:56

I've tried to upload a video to show how unusually loud and unusual this sound was, unfortunately the app complains of a broken security token?

Lexman8 Sep 25th, 2017 09:27

It sounds like you've turned off the engine while a DPF regen was in progress. As this creates much higher temperatures than normal in the engine bay the radiator cooling fan is turned up to 11.

Jimrod Sep 25th, 2017 09:29

I haven't got any experience of the Volvo diesels (yet) coming from VW group cars but I'd imagine they have a DPF that will need cycles to burn off soot, usually once per tank of fuel or so.

During this process the engine will run a little rough and temps get hot for about 20mins, if your journey is around that length or shorter the fan will likely still be used to cool the engine pretty strongly after shut-down even if you haven't been driving it particularly hard.

nu11eaf Sep 25th, 2017 11:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ctpurley (Post 2321367)
I've tried to upload a video to show how unusually loud and unusual this sound was, unfortunately the app complains of a broken security token?

Best way to share a video is to put it on youtube then post the link to it on here,

The fan will run while engine is shut down on occasions and sometimes very fast, its nothing to worry about as long as it does shut off after short period of time, its happened to me and After a few minutes I started the engine and stopped it again and fan stopped, probably because coolant had been circulated and sensors detected the drop in temp after circulation.
Many years ago I had a Volvo V90 (original one) and I put it in my garage and the fan was running, next day the battery was flat, when I charged the battery and put it back in the car the fan started running, it had stuck on and flattened the battery, I pulled the fuse to stop it running then replaced fuse, so I advise checking after a short while to see if it has shut off. That only ever happened once to me.

Ctpurley Sep 25th, 2017 18:02

OK, just googled what a DPF Regeneration is 😊 I'll get the garage to check it at the service next month

Many thanks all

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lexman8 (Post 2321384)
It sounds like you've turned off the engine while a DPF regen was in progress. As this creates much higher temperatures than normal in the engine bay the radiator cooling fan is turned up to 11.

Jimrod Sep 25th, 2017 18:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lexman8 (Post 2321384)

I didn't realise you'd posted that as I was typing mine. :D